Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heavy Steering at Speed

Cross Post
I noticed an article in the February issue of Excellence comparing an 89 911, Boxster, and 968. With regard to the 911, they describe a condition which I accepted as normal.

'Some muscle is required at turn-in, but its the job of holding the wheel through the turn that takes real effort. While the unassistend turn-in is pure joy, maintaining your line is more work then pleasure. Delicate inputs or a light-touch won't get the job done; this 911 demands both heavy inputs and precision --.... it doesn't need to be this way... minor front end suspension work and revised alignment settings would work wonders for this Carrera.'
I expect the steering to be heavier with 225/50 up front but, the steering is only heavy when pushed hard. 1983 SC - not sure it matters; but rear- 245/45; monoballs, poly-bronze bushings, Smart Racing sway bars, 23/33 T-Bars, and other suspension mods, cage; 2490 pounds dry. Currently not enough shock for the spring, and the sway bars are set up a little loose -- Car is corner balanced and aligned.

What are these minor suspension mods that will work wonders for the steering?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Good question. I have also noticed that my steering is very heavy when pushed hard on the track.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll find the Boxster and 968 have power steering where the 911's don't until the 964's came out. Up until then, 911's have always had stiffer steering when pushed hard. However, the proper setup of the suspension can make a little difference, i.e., understeer or oversteer.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Caster,..............LOL.

Reduce caster=lighter steering.

Try 5.2-5.4 degrees,.......
Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that 911 non-power steering is progressively heavier as speed increases - provides tactile feedback, immediacy in high speed curves & transitions. for me.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, thanks for the update. I just pulled up one of the alignment sheets and the caster value is missing. I assume caster set by fore and aft movement of the top of the strut? It was almost dead on at 6 degrees +/- a few minutes. I have far more camber adjustment available at the top of the strut. Is there enough for .8 degree? (are the new shocks on their way yet?)

Spider, I have a Boxster as well and sometimes I am aware of the differences. The Smart Bars have allowed me to experiment quite a bit over the last few years. I just thought the heavy characteristic was normal until I saw the line in Excellence. My old SCCA Z car was dreadful at low speed in the paddock, but would take a light touch on the track. The SC is just the opposite.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Alan:

Yessir, caster is adjusted by moving the tops of the struts fore & aft and 6 degrees makes for a higher effort steering as the wheel is moved off center,...

I should see shocks within 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Heavy Steering at Speed