Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

DIY cab top replacement q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DIY cab top replacement q's

I have been researching replacing my 83 cab top. I get a little confused, as I have seen some tops advertised as precut, etc. I have also found used tops in excellent condition, and one with the frame. If I bought that, how likely would it be a "bolt in" replacement for mine, if it is also a manual top? If I went that route, any idea what I could sell just my frame for at that point to recover some of the costs? Sorry for all of the questions, but looking to get this top replaced soon and trying to carefully weigh out the options. Does anyone have any further links to read through that they can stgeer me towards. I have looked at the ones I could find using what I thought were good search words.

Thanks again,
Shane
Old 06-05-2007, 02:07 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude, that all sounds like a lot of effort with questionable end results. I put off replacing my top, after my !@$#^& cat tore a 10" gash in it, for financial reasons. In the end, I had a highly recommended shop do the job, source the top and install. I counldn't be happier. #1 the work is guaranteed so I have recourse if it leaks. #2 I dropped it off busted and picked it up 3 days later 100% #3 it's a huge part of the car and if you want it to look right I think you should have it done by someone who has done them before. Just my $0.02. I'm having the same argument with my Dad whose 83' cab needed a top 5 years ago!! And I'm a total DIY kind of guy. All in all it cost me $1642.53. IMHO - A small price to pay for such an important item.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went thru the same w/my car only to finally find a professional to install the top. This is a link to one of the best companies for manufacturing porsche tops! http://www.gahh.com/ Paid $1200 for top and install and GLAD I DID!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, replacing the cab fabric is a major PITA! When I replaced mine, about 5 years ago now, I believe that I used an A-1 Canvass product, 2 piece unit. It was a great looking top. It took me almost a week doing the job in order to get it looking fantastic. Even though it was supposedly, "cut to fit" there was a lot of hand trimming, adjusting, and glueing. It almost drove me nuts! I decided then and there, that I would never replace another 911 cab top. I know now why the shops that do these instalations, charge a LOT of money$$$$$$. But all in all, I do not regret doing it myself, because the top looks perfect, and the rear window is very smooth, no waves, bubbles, etc. The secret to this is all of the hand trimming, fitting and glueing and many, many adjustments to get it looking just right, where you could bounce quarters off of it. This top also came with a lifetime warrenty on the front fabric and the rear piece with the window. After 5 years, the top still looks factory fresh, I am very pleased with the way it finally came out, but like I said, it was a major PITA. Good luck, Tony.

Quick Reply: DIY cab top replacement q's