Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ignition coil moved!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abossana
i noticed my coil has been leaking some oil aswell, and i am having an intermetint no spark problem, has anyone heard of a coil going out slowly? in my past experiances they either work or dont work

Anthony

Happened with the Jetta that my brother bought from my ex-girlfriend. It leaked oil and we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Then one day we noticed it stopped. Figured it fixed itself. Problem is that the car started running intermittently. It would run fine one day, and then not the next. One day on the way to work, my brother hit a small puddle on the road, and the thing died and started after much coxing and then died when we got it to our store. Never started again. On a day, when it wasn't raining we tested the spark, and nothing. There were tons of fault codes saying misfiring. Tracked down the coil and the thing was dead...with oil all over it. oil leak solved as well as the reason for not working.

It happens I guess. Never had a problem with coils until then. But I'll remember that incident.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:15 PM
abossana
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rentadate
Happened with the Jetta that my brother bought from my ex-girlfriend. It leaked oil and we couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Then one day we noticed it stopped. Figured it fixed itself. Problem is that the car started running intermittently. It would run fine one day, and then not the next. One day on the way to work, my brother hit a small puddle on the road, and the thing died and started after much coxing and then died when we got it to our store. Never started again. On a day, when it wasn't raining we tested the spark, and nothing. There were tons of fault codes saying misfiring. Tracked down the coil and the thing was dead...with oil all over it. oil leak solved as well as the reason for not working.

It happens I guess. Never had a problem with coils until then. But I'll remember that incident.

thanks for the help everyone. im almost positive the coil is my problem. i ordered a msd blaster high vibraion coil this morning and will install later today.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
74er
Advanced

I replaced mine with a MSD blaster but also put in the ballast resister. MSD said this was required if you are using non-MSD ignition box. Not sure what the bad side is if not used but I didn't want to find out. Hopefully I'll get the MSD box before long.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I have an MSD ignition unit. Works awesome! Car starts and goes when I want it to. I used the regular black coil and have had no problems. As far as I know a coil is a coil.

Quick Reply: Ignition coil moved!