Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front end aerodynamics

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car has good Koni's, is corner balanced, and was lowered to ROW specs prior to the addition of very low profile 16" tires. Without the tail I was feeling rear lift at highway speeds.

The front end lift now at 120-130 is not bad, but it's time for me to counter the tail with some front downforce so I asked for input from this forum. I do admit that when I buried my speedo past 150 the car was in a zone that didn't feel as loose as it does at 125.

Will also verify to make sure the rake is 1' down in the front. The PO set it up for autocross, and, as someone pointed out, I won't spent much time north of 120 at VIR anyway.

Every little bit of added tire patch control helps at any speed, so I'm taking all of this advice. I also don't mind choosing the most slippery headlights since the design of mine seem like buckets of turbulence.

Incidentally, has anyone reduced air pressure under their early-mid 911 with rocker panels like a 959 does?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,

I think with the addition of a front Carrera/911SC rubber spoiler to match your rear Turbo tail and a fresh nose down rake, you're gonna love the car...

My brother has a narrow body SC with a factory spec Euro stance/ride height, a completely new suspension right down to the torsion bars, rear Turbo tail with a front spoiler and it's ROCK solid at speed. Once these cars are set up right, they are incredible. It even rides exceptionally well with the fresh shocks, bushings and tires.

You've got some good advice from the pro's such as Jack and Steve W. Good luck!

Jay
Old 06-01-2007, 01:05 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chris, how are you after the beating we have given you? I could read this thread 10 times a day and not get tired of it. I even went back out this evening afer wasing my car to check the stance at 120 and it's the same as 80 so ya got me....

are you close to Rolling Valley or Burke. I was in Fairfax county and fredricksburge in '86-'88.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

This is a great thread that I have read repeatedly, too.

I don't mind a few negative comments when good ideas like 911S3.6's chin spoiler solution are the net result. Yesterday I ordered the $15 worth of materials and look forward to finding some "speed clips" at Lowe's or Home Depot.

There is also probably a good thread about measuring the rake on your 911, so I'm going to search for that, too. It seems like I recall reading about measuring from the top of each wheel well. Since my car is lower all-around, I'll adjust those numbers accordingly and verify at least 1' of rake.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris -- bring your car to the Potomac tech tomorrow at Curry's. This is the tech for the upcoming Shenandoah event, but we (Potomac Tech Team) do tech other Porsche's at the owner's request. It gives you a chance to get your car on a lift and look at everything.

'Saturday from 9 am until 2 pm. The address is 1202 Downey Drive, Vienna, Virginia 22182. Please be aware this is NOT the same location as last year's event at Curry's. Downey Drive is off Route 7 West, the Leesburg Pike. '
Old 06-01-2007, 08:30 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris, glad the top on the spoiler helped, but as previously posted it was discussed A LOT of Pelican. But, I must clarify one point made, the ONLY professional who has chimed in is Steve Weiner from Rennsport systems-who has built and raced modifiied 911s for 30 years. The rest of us are just affeccionadoes (sp) with limited experience with our own cars. Some of us work on them ourselves, some not-

Good luck,

///Nick
Old 06-02-2007, 04:05 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks Alan!!

Thanks Alan. The tech inspection was very interesting. I've added to my list of upgrades and now know the proper lifting points.

What a great group of enthusiasts!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:13 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

LaughaC,
if you decide to go that round (Nick's lip), please post comments afterward.
Thanks Nick, LaughaC
Old 06-03-2007, 08:50 PM
rscredon
Instructor

I voiced my concerns of that "light front end feeling" a couple of months ago. I installed the front chin spoiler and have no regrets. I do not have the rear tail and have never felt the rear end light at speed. I like the looks and feeling a bit more stable up front.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:35 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Chris: you have a Carrera tail without the front chin-spoiler? Is that what the photo indicates?

Your current configuration is slightly out of balance due to the missing front rubber spoiler(hint: flexible and okay to occasionally rub on speed bumps) and existing rear Carrera wing. Before you do much else, try installing/re-installing the factory chin spoiler up front and see if that will help. Also, the factory rake for the car is about 2 or 3 dgrees (lower in front) I believe. Bentley Manual indicates stock rake at -2 degrees (pp 420-10, 420-11) on the door sill.

Or, lose the tail wing for better downforce balance front to rear.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Good Points. My chin spoiler material arrived today. I'm going to try Nick's solution and will post results.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:00 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Chris,
on a windy highway at high speed, do you feel your car got push left/right more than a average normal car?
Please post comment and pic after you have the spoiler in and experience it.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Front end aerodynamics