Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear speaker fitment. Elegant and easy solution.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Rear speaker fitment. Elegant and easy solution.

After going through the same headaches I went through finding door speakers to fit my 924S, I used the same solution. And the same speakers, in fact. They were one of the few speakers I found who's moutning holes actually lined up correctly, even though they would not fit under the factory grills...

Upon removing the factory (!) speakers, I discovered they were an 8ohm load. No wonder they sounded like crap! It seems that most modern gear wants to push 4 or 2 ohm. My anchient A/D/S PQ8 amplifier wants to push 4 or 2, not 8!

Foam is a wonderful thing. Easily cut, won't add to the speaker grill footprint, and cheap.

Here it is. It looks good, although not perfect because it's a rush job. If I get these "gaskets" laser cut to stock speaker grill size, it should look absolutley great.

The problem is the "ring" or "lip" around modern speakers that pushed the grill away from the deck, leaving an ugly gap. The foam fills that in, and doesn't leave a huge bump in the read deck by adding too much height.

Pics:

Woops. I left out one pic. First, I obtained 1/4 inch closed-cell foam. Placed the speaker grill on top, and traced around it with a razor blade. Then, I used a silver Sharpie to mark the screw hole locations.

Then, I placed the speaker face down, and traced around IT with the razor. Hold the speaker, so it doesn't move....

Pop out the oval

Cut out the silver sharpie marks, for the screws to fit through, and test fit on the speaker.

Proceed as usual. The Flash on the camera makes the foam highlightd much more than it actually is. This foam was a charcoal grey. If you can find truely black foam, it should be invisible.

When all said and done, these Pioneer's sound great in conjunction with the Focal speakers I chose for the doors.

search words. speakers rear deck speaker fitmen
Old 05-25-2007, 12:16 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Nice Job .. were your rear speakers also connected in mono ? mine were ..

I put Blaupunkt overdrives in and got them to fit under the package shelf without cutting .. bonus ...
Old 05-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that looks great. just a side note for the guys like me with cab's. the rear stock blaupunkt speakers and the grills are still in stock in germany at the dealers. they took about three weeks to come in and the guy at the parts counter just shook his head that I wanted them. the fronts are a whole other story. it's my pimp-my-ride story, you don't want to know.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Nice Job .. were your rear speakers also connected in mono ? mine were ..

I put Blaupunkt overdrives in and got them to fit under the package shelf without cutting .. bonus ...
No. One of my previous owners somewhere down the line installed an deck and an A/D/S PQ8 amp. The amp pushes 2 or 4 ohms, not the 8 ohms of the factory speakers. Which is why the factory speaker sounding like JUNK.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:36 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

PS love your Avatar ..

Quick Reply: Rear speaker fitment. Elegant and easy solution.