Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Summer '07 project - interested?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Summer '07 project - interested?

A recent thread started a thinking process, and someone may already have documented information, but I would like to know what our cars actually weigh. Literature is sketchy at best, sometimes buried so well that one can only guess, which is the reason for the subject not being included in my book. I know that PCA Club Racing has established minimum weights for different models/classes, but I don't want that. I would like to see a carefully structured set of guidelines that stipulate the wheel on the car (Alloys, Gas Burners, Cookie Cutters, steel, etc.) whether or not a coupe has a sunroof, whether or not a Targa has A/C, how much fuel is in the car to be weighed, and what is that car's tank capacity, etc. I would also like to know if cities across the country have weigh stations available to the public, and what the +/-accuracy factor at those stations might be. If no weigh station is available are certified scale sets available, enough to weigh the cars of willing participants. All participants should be required to provide details regarding the equipment on their car, an owner's name, contact phone number, and e-mail address. I would like to stick to a format consisting of three or four cars, maybe more, from each model year, and stick to factory equipment as closely as possible. Perhaps a category could be created for cars that have fiberglas body parts, roll hoops/cages, wide body configuration, G50s in early cars, etc., but that would be secondary. Each car weighed will be put in a report format, which will include the method of weighing, the manufacturer's name and contact info of the scales used, if possible the location of the scales, and any +/- factors. If an otherwise stock, original, '86 Carrera is fitted with "Design 90" or "Cup" wheels, that would be OK, but certification of the weight of the correct alloy wheel, with typical tire, will be included with that car's report. The project will certainly have hurdles (I know of a completely original, '67 S Soft Window Targa, but I don't know a willing owner of a '75 Carrera coupe or an '89 Speedster). Should we do it? Can we do it? Let me know by posting to this thread, or sending me a PM. If we can develop a fairly comprehensive list of cars and their owners we might be able to pull this off - if you're interested, that is. After all, is weight not an important component of performance?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Sure, do it. I think you should match the same year cars with the same equipment and find out how much variation there is sample to sample, i.e. one car is not made exactly like another.

Here is some data - mostly on component wts. that I have collected over the years:
http://www.penaltykicker.com/911/data/

The *.xls file is the mostly component data.
The Word *.doc file compares some lightwt. 911 models and hotrods.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, a scale at an event, ie; the san diego parade, would give you hundreds of cars in one place at one time. or lets say you did a book signing and scale party here in l.a. we all would come for good cookies.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the ideas, guys, but I think that we should start with confirmations from owners that they have "x" car and will take the time to get it weighed and provide the data. If I get a number of volunteers, and positive feedback, I will proceed. I think that, to consider this project a serious venture, I must have at least 90% coverage of the models that will be included. I will give the data collection period a full month (I'll be unavailable over the coming holiday weekend), perhaps a Rennlist moderator will see this thread, take an interest in it, and pin it at the top of our forum. All individual participation will be voluntary, but maybe we can find a sponsor to cover complimentary cookies!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

pete, put me in for an '88 manual cab w/air......

If you did a book signing at Performance Products on a saturday morning and invited the CHP in to weigh the cars and offered a PPI, tech session, DE, and convinced PP to let us sit in the Martini they have in the lobby, I'll bring the cookies. you could have a questionaire to fill out and bring your digital camera to keeptrack, heck call it a concourse event and everyone and their dog will show. I have some old BMX trophies you could give out.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested...although my car isn't stock anymore so I don't know if you'd want to include it

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 05-23-2007, 10:54 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete -
Happy to help with my 84 Cab, though it too is modified. I have the original parts, which I'd be happy to weigh up for you. I have a set of 6 / 7 x 16 Fuchs (6 / 8 x16 C2 5-spokes on now), orig. non-tail decklid, AC components, brackets, bolts, airbox, muffler & cat in separate boxes. I'll see if I can get down to some truck scales in the coming weeks, if you want the info from mine.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll ask our local dump to weigh my car on their truck scale. Weighing a car at a dump won't create bad luck, will it?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

pete, here is a bone stock '88 cab. isn't she beautiful. she has air, manual top, blou reno cassette, electric seats, no air pump, toyo's, interstate battery, K&N air filter, and fabspeed air box cover. the most stock 911 I have aver seen. now how 'bout some cookies.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2007, 03:13 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

front view, man she's perty. going to San Diego in just a couple days and taken me with her.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Summer '07 project - interested?