Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'77 Targa Potential Purchase Input Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys,

I finally spoke to the seller (Chevy guy) and wanted to report back to you. He got the car Sept. '06 in trade from a mechanic who had a lien on it. Customer took it in for some work, never came back.

Its not running right now. Said it was running when it was brought to the shop last fall. Right now the starter is dead. He did say you can manuall turn the engine over, so its not seized. Its a 2.7 liter engine.

Mileage: 130k
Head bolts snapped or updated: he has no idea.
He replaced the fuel pump recently.
Clutch is "stuck". Sounds like the pedal is not moving for whatever reason.
Seats are very worn.
Stereo was stolen out of it, some damage to door panels from that, but he has brand new replacement door panels.
He also has a complete door shell (excellent condition) that also included the power window motor.

He also mentioned that the rear qtr panel has dent damage (that was not apparent to me from the pics), but he thinks it can be repaired on the car.

So basically right now its a non-runner, with not much history to it. He did say he was going to see about getting a new starter on there to see if he could get it running.

So I'll be passing on this one, and if I ever do get into 911's I think I'll do it right and spend a bit more upfront on the purchase, to hopefully save a bit later.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I appreciate it!

Ed

edit: forgot to mention, the seller seems like a good guy. He did not hold anything back, and I think he was doing his best to describe the car as accurately as he could.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You're fortunate to have found someone who was helpful in disclosing what was missing in that thing. It would have been very easy to be tempted into a car like that only to find another $1000 parts requirement every other week or so.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:40 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone is interested, the price is now $3800.

"I can't get it running come haul it away."

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/car/339643817.html
Old 05-28-2007, 02:24 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong side of the country for me, but I would snap it up otherwise.

Quick Reply: '77 Targa Potential Purchase Input Please