Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car seat for 911?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. I do agree that the rear seats are not a safe place for an infant. I will hold out until the kid is heavy enough for a forward facing seat. I just had my heart set on the thought of being able to bring the kid home from the hospital for the very first time in the 911. My emotions blinded my foresight as to the safety and/or feasibility of making this happen. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

BTW, I keep saying kid because we do not know the sex, nothing like not knowing until he/she arrives for an ultimate surprise?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 AM
NoVaGator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats Lee...my wife and I had our first this past August....it's been a great year.

(we didn't know the gender either)

I bought the Britax Roundabout yesterday....I'll see how it fits in the back seat tomorrow and post pics. (But its real destination is the front seat when the boy turns 1 )
Old 07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
veggiecar300
Intermediate

Was this ever resolved? What car seats will fit in a 1984-1989 911? Front or back.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_ONeill
Please don't put your baby in that old car, it doesn't have any modern safety systems. I mean no disrespect to your enthusiam or intentions.
No kidding....I'd not be worrying about whether I can fit a seat into a pre-89 911, and worry about the thought of putting a young child in the car and what could happen to the child if you were rear-ended or t-boned. These are sports cars!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
veggiecar300
Intermediate

I read your post. Thanks for your input.

It would be great if we could compile a list of seats that would fit. I've read that these work?

Britax Roundabout
Cosco Pepper
Porsche Juniorseat

Anything else?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I put some cheapo Graco seats in there (forget the name of them), but they had the narrow base that fit in the rear. I know have Recaro Vivo boosters in there for my kids. They love it...I love it.

As to the people who think we need to put bubbles around out kids...no wonder I see the American roads full of big **** SUV's congesting the roadways.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That's exactly right, the roads ARE full of big vehicles AND not-so-great drivers. An infant relies on their parents to make good decisions, as they can't. Putting you kid into an old 911 because you want to inaugurate them into the joys of P-cars isn't one of them.

I know, I've insulted most of the posters here, but put your emotions aside and put some rational thought to this.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Talewinds
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That's exactly right, the roads ARE full of big vehicles AND not-so-great drivers. An infant relies on their parents to make good decisions, as they can't. Putting you kid into an old 911 because you want to inaugurate them into the joys of P-cars isn't one of them.

I know, I've insulted most of the posters here, but put your emotions aside and put some rational thought to this.

FWIW you certainly didn't insult me. I read this post and others about car seats in a 911 wondering who in the hell would WANT to put their young child in their old 911.
1) I'll put him in the much bigger, safer, airbag clad, Onstar equipped SUV.
2) My 911 is one of my only places of complete refuge and solitude and independence left in this world. Ya, shame on me for suggesting that anything in the universe might actually rank higher even if just for a brief moment than one's child, that's become shamefully unpopular in the current kidcentric society
Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 AM
veggiecar300
Intermediate

lol, aren't internet forums great

Anyway, thanks again for your input. I was hoping to compile a list of current car seats that will fit, making it easy for future forum users to find. If anyone has experience on which models fit please let us know here.

Maybe you can spare us your world views on good parenting and the effect of the SUV population on society in the meantime. Very interesting, but not exactly on topic.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, I suppose every kid can't get lucky and end up with good parents....the exact response I expected based on your last reply.

No wonder we have so many laws to protect us from ourselves. There's a definite lack of common sense prevalent nowadays.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Enjoy your bubble Ed. Thank goodness you live in your own world.

Call child services, I saw a child sitting in the back of a Honda Accord. Oh snap, 2 more in a Toyota Corolla. Geez, another one in a Chevy Malibu. One in a Hyundai Elantra. How dare those parents not put them into a Hummer H2. What horrible parents. Oh thank goodness, now there's a good set of parents there...those 3 kids in the H2 at the McDonald's drive though....and they're going to supersize it! Whew...model parents.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM
veggiecar300
Intermediate

Well, I suppose every kid can't get lucky and end up with good parents....the exact response I expected based on your last reply.

No wonder we have so many laws to protect us from ourselves. There's a definite lack of common sense prevalent nowadays.
Troll
Old 07-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Bubble....yeah right. I probably take my life to the edge more than most. Having built and flown my own experimental airplane and some of my experiences in autos and motorcycles would probably refute that claim. But they are calculated risks and don't involve children.

I never said a kid had to ride in an H2....in fact any of the cars just mentioned would probably be safer from side impact protection and ride height alone.

See what I mean about emotion and rational thought? You all dig in when I call you on this issue. You know in your heads that you are not being smart strapping your kids into the back of a 911, and now you try to save face.

Oh, "veggieboy", right back at you.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Oh you rebel....living life on the edge by showing us your street cred. Calculated risks...good stuff Einstein. I'm impressed. How good of a parent are you if you do such dangerous things...and possibly putting your family in a position to live without a father?

Think about this for a second champ....any of those cars being t-boned by a gargantuan SUV is going to lose and any occupant is going to suffer. I don't care if it's a 911, an Accord or anything else in the car segment. Having a bumper that much higher is just that.

I'm not going to get too worked up about some two bit internet James Dean calling people who take their kids on rides in their sports cars and not always putting them in full body armour and transporting them in armoured trucks. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. Some are just bigger than others.

Perhaps we should stay on topic and keep those who have useful information related to the original topic stay on the thread, and others can post their drivel elsewhere.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
veggiecar300
Intermediate

Oh, "veggieboy", right back at you.
From Wikipedia (for you old guys without kids, busy coding your opinion late on a holiday, so alone): "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]"

He's achieved his goal and hijacked this thread. Too bad.

Quick Reply: Car seat for 911?