Reshaping door pockets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:51 AM
Tommy Malmstrom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reshaping door pockets?

Hi,

Is there a nice trick that I could use to reshape the door pockets?

One of mine is bending a little too much, so that the lid wont rest properly on it...The lid kind of falls down a bit in the middle.

The car is a -79 SC, btw.

Kind regards,
Tommy
Old 05-18-2007, 03:57 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem and have my panels out to work on power windows. Will watch your thread for ideas. Might also remove the '77 **** carpet from my pocket panels.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

At the moment I have one pocket out of a friends 76 Targa. It is in a horrible state and we'll probably end up throwing it away.
First thought that I could get a piece of aluminium approx 1" X 1/8" and bend it so that it runs around the inside top of the pocket. This was then going to be pop riveted from the out side of the pocket.

All this occurs under the vinyl or carpet that you have on it. After you've pop riveted it enough you then glue the carpet, or what ever, back on.

The one I have here is beyond that!!! I think I'll screw it to a nice flat board, do a body filler repair job on it and when it's the right shape again, pull a mold off it and just lay up some new ones in fiberglass. We can cover them with vinyl before putting them back on the door.

Hope this gives you some Ideas.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Fiberglass replacements are readily available if you are not able to repair, rebuild or make your own.
They are even available in carbon fiber if you have money to throw at such things.
+++
Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I had that same problem....so I did what every poor person does, remove them! I like the added space between the seat and the door. I can fit water bottles there and they don't move! It is like a cup holder without the ugly look of one too! ( i must admit it is murder on the upholstery)

If it were me, I'd take them out, and since they are made of something flimsy, my suggestion would be to let it "rest" on the side that is sagging. See if that reshapes itself. You may have to throw some water on it to help with that. After that I would suggest getting a piece of metal or something and screwing it on the inside shaped to the contour of the thing. If you don't like metal, I would say get some hard wood and just cut it in the contour...too much work that way tho.

If you are really creative, you could probably get the general "shape" of it, and probably make your own out of aluminum. that would be my "tuner" idea.

+1

on either removing or buying new ones. I personally like the added space of not having it there.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

not sure how permanent it was but my dad took a extension rod, the kind you screw a paint roller on to, and expanded it so both left and right pockets were pushed in. He did this for a few days when ever the car was not in use (obviously). I'd have to ask him, but I think it helped.

My driver's side is perfect and my pass side has the droop..........
Old 05-21-2007, 05:26 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Go with the RS style door panel!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
carnutzzz
Intermediate

I don't think you guys are looking close enough at your problem. The pocket has probably cracked around the screws, allowing it to "fall open" slightly.

Look close and see if this is the case. If so, you'll need to reinforce that cracked area. If your lid has bent too much over the years, you may need another one to sit flush on the repaired pocket.

Hope this helps...
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My recollection is that people have tried a variety of "fixes" over the years, and most of them have failed. I think the best way to go is a fiberglass replacement pocket covered with OEM carpet and vinyl trim. For more bling, there are carbon fiber pockets available too.

The problem is that the OEM pockets are basically made of cardboard, and when they get subjected to humidity or other moisture they tend to bow out. What happens next is that the lid falls into the pocket, and sometimes gets bent. The result is that the pocket needs replacing and the lid needs straightening.

I need to replace my driver's side pocket, and when I get around to it I'll go with fiberglass covered with OEM carpet and vinyl.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:36 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

I am in the same boat. well at least my door pockets look like sinking boats. Where can you get the fiberglass pockets?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:02 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are lots of suppliers of fiberglass pockets.

www.appbiz.com
www.autobahninteriors.com
www.autosintl.com
www.worlduph.com

I purchased a set from Original Fit Interiors and had a horrible experience. I would never purchase from them again!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:30 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I cut a 2x4 to the correct size, screwed two 2x4 pieces to it and closed the doors so each end of the the long 2x4 "I-beam" rested against a door pocket. Perfectly reformed the door pockets within about a week.

My 78 Targa, not that one on the left.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I cut a 2x4 to the correct size, screwed two 2x4 end pieces to it, laid it across the seats, and closed the doors so each end of the the long 2x4 "I-beam" rested against, pushed, a door pocket. Perfectly reformed the door pockets within about a week.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Tommy Malmstrom
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Thanks,

Now I have a couple of things to experiment with... lets see what works out.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 483 Posts

I threw mine out both were in terrible shape...gonna do RS doors in the near future.

Quick Reply: Reshaping door pockets?