Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RUF SLANTNOSE SPY PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
al's85.911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
he wanted to know what the extra door was for under the trunk (smuglers box). he said "I think it is a gas heater that runs on unleaded" he didn't like my "80 pounds of dead weight" answer...
Not to hijack this thread, but I was wondering about the same door. On my car it's blocked by the amp, which I didn't want to remove. What is it?

Thanks
Al
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2007, 11:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

it's called a smugglers box. Some really early cars had gasoline heaters in them in the northern climates. They held some AC componenets if I remember orectly later. Mine is completely empty so I keep the tool kit, my air compressor and a quart of spare oil in there. When I first got my car I opened it and found a never opened tool kit and some Castrol GTX date coded for about 1979. Guess the PO never looked in there. It was all covered in years of silt and grime. It all cleaned up really nice.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,374 Likes on 504 Posts

I have abox of some sorts in it...I have removed the AC but there is still a blower or something in there....can I rip it out?? Id love to lighten her even more, I removed the ac lines and condenser yesterday nite. What a PITA.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:29 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Thanks Chuck,
Oups, you are up north. I am in SCal. If you are around, I would love to come to check out the way the cooler installed tothe car. Mine is a conversion without this cooler. I have thought about it but when loking at that area, I have no idea how it can be fited in there.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could take some pictures of the interior of the wheel well and send them to you if you like. I can take off the rear tire so you can have a good look at how it's set up. I keep an eye out for slant parts, and I've seen several sets of that oil cooler for sale. The only problem with the used ones is to make sure they're cleaned out and pressure tested.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:55 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Chuck,
Not to give you more work than you already have, we all do right?, but when you have a chance to work on the car up on the air, please take some close up pics of that area. As much as you like. Also please take some mearurement of the cooler. Very appreciate it.
Mine look similar to your except the front lip.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

I love this game .....

turbo tail vs carrera tail
front air DAm is different
polished petals vs all black Fuchs
Black grill and gas cover vs red
Both sweet cars though , a guy brought one to out get toether this weekend and was selling it for 63K CAD .. WOW .... beautiful shape however and fairly low miles ... and yes it was red ...
Old 05-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

rnln: No problemo....I'm retired and am always looking for something meaningful to do....and I consider this meaningful....just let me know exactly what you want, and I have a LOT of photo gear so I can take just about anything you want.

My email is fishoncj@aol.com send me an email there so I can get your email address into my address book, then I'll go out and send you as many pics as you want. The car is really clean underneath, so you'll be able to see everything pretty well.

Look forward to hearing from you. BTW...nice job you're doing on your slant. Feel free to have me take any pics of any part that you might be trying to fix/make/alter or whatever. I just did a DIY project with Loren over on RennTech...and it was a lot of fun....plus informative for the folks.

Go for the gusto......chuck
Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chuck, I think more guys like your car than like to admit it. I love it. I'm glad you are out there keeping the slants alive.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Ice,
The 965 belong to someone I know. It has 540+ HP at the rear wheels o_o
Thanks for the compliment. I painted the front fender grills because there was paint pilled beneath and slight flash rust.

Chuck,
so nice of you. Why don't you live here in SCal .
I will send you an email.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

rnln: Did you get the one picture of the underside I sent? I need to verify that it came thru and got to your email address. More to follow if that one came thru.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:17 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Yes it came through. I replied.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

here she is all pimped out. new tires, wheels, top, carpet, Momo, tint, and sterio. she has been de-Rufed. sad part is she just sits in the driveway uncovered and unprotected. I saw the owner drive it once.
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2007, 12:36 AM
checkmate1996
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
Just in case none of you has seen this before. i am still searching for this car. I sold it in early 2000 to pay for my sons college. I've been searching high and low since he graduated on 2004.

Gorgeous!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

checkmate: I thought my car was neat....but that blue Targa is the most magnificent specimen I've seen in a long time. I can certainly see why smshirk is looking for it again. I only hope it's not sitting as a rusted out hulk that's been parted out due to an accident or neglect.

Quick Reply: RUF SLANTNOSE SPY PICTURES