sport mufflers from AJ USA and Performance Products

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 11:01 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts
Post sport mufflers from AJ USA and Performance Products

Hello everyone:
I am thinking of purchasing a sport muffler, for my 911. I have SSIs on my car and I am trying to decide between the one offered sold by Performance Products and AJ USA. Has anyone out in Rennlist land purchased either of these mufflers? Are there any differences between them? Is one better than the other? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:18 AM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance sells several that would fit. Which ones would you be referring to? I would go with a GHL if you have the money.

James
Old 01-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

I was considering the one that has the two pipes in the center. I've seen them on several 911s and I like the look. The reason for getting a muffler is noise restriction at most tracks. I currently have supertrapps on my car. Just want a muffler that is reasonably priced, flows well and has a good sound.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:52 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the stainless Dansk dual in/dual outlet muffler sold by Performance attached to my SSI's. You'll need to cut the right side rear valance to accomodate the right exhaust pipe. Otherwise, the Dansk muffler is a perfect fit, but a tad loud for some tastes.

Performance also sells the Dansk dual in/single out exhaust which is quieter, sounds nicer than stock, but performance is not much different (if at all) from stock. I had this muffler before adding the dual exhaust (which was not available at the time I first "upgraded" to the SSI's & sport muffler). Somewhere a few pages down on this forum are some pix of my 3.6L engine on the bench showing the Dansk muffler.

GHL advertises that their muffler is less resonant (i.e., quieter, inside the car at least) than other sport mufflers, but I have not actually seen or heard their product (I may have, but not having a chance to talk with the car's owner, I just didn't realize what product I was hearing). I have not heard anything negative about GHL mufflers.

Another highly regarded sport muffler (though not sold by Performance) is Monty, and Aussie manufacturer. This appears to be a very nice looking and strongly constructed product. The Monty sport muffler, dual in/single out - is expensive (about $200 more than the Dansk, I don't know if it is more or less expensive than GHL). I really like the Monty, but can't speak from personal experience.

Good luck.

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6L
Old 01-03-2002, 12:07 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Richard and James:
Thanks for the input. One of my friends has the Dansk 2 in 2 out muffler on his car with the SSIs. I personally like the sound and that muffler is a possibility. I actually removed the rear valance when I installed the supertrapps 18 months ago. I just thought I would get some outside input before I make a purchase. Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2002, 12:18 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

P.S.,

I don't know anything about the sport muffler AJ-USA is offering. Price wise they are alot less than the others mentioned (about 1/2 the price). From the photo in AJ's xmas '01 catalog, the muffler does not appear to be stainless (which would explain the much lower price), in fact from the photo, the muffler looks like a converted stock piece with the old tail pipe sealed off (on the left) and the dual pipes added, which ain't a bad idea. For me, living in the northeast, stainless steel seemed like an important feature (I think my stock '87 muffler was stainless). In any event, when I purchased my sport muffler, AJ wasn't selling them (or, at least, hadn't advertised that they had any for sale), otherwise I would have checked them out.

I will say this about AJ-USA, I have been an AJ customer for several years and have always found their products to be first rate and their service is excellent. For example, I purchased my 930S steering wheel from AJ-USA over 12 years ago and it still looks brand new! So, I wouldn't hestitate to recommend them to you. Give AJ-USA a call and ask them about their muffler . . . it may be the best bargain out there!

Richard
Old 01-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Richard:
Thanks again for your help. I will give them a call today.

Mark
Old 01-03-2002, 02:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Mark:

I'd offer some further input about mufflers,...

The AJ/USA Sport muffler is a well-done copy of the factory Sport Muffler and aside from its rather raspy note, works very well and provides a good mid-range power increase.

The Dansk is a stainless sport muffler that should outlast the above unit. Good value for the $$$. We have not dyno'ed these, compared to the above muffler.

The Monty stainless sport mufflers are our favorite, based on quality and longevity. The others simply do not compare in this regard and you do get what you pay for here. The dual outlet ones are louder than the single outlet models and neither one is as raspy as the AJ/USA one. Power is very comparable.

Hope this helps,......
Old 01-03-2002, 03:41 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

First, I'd like to thank all who have posted replies to my muffler question.

Steve,
I assume that the Dansk costs more than the AJ USA muffler because it is made of stainless steel and the AJ one is not. I don't mind a loud exhaust since I club race the car mostly, however I still drive it from time to time on the street on nice days. I need a muffler on it if I want to meet the noise limits for Lime Rock. I considered the AJ muffler because it is very reasonably priced. I am basically between the Dansk and AJ muffler. If you had to choose, considering the price difference, which one would you consider the better value. The $400 difference buys me two more Hoosiers, plus I want the keep the significant other happy since she is supportive of the racing habit.

By the way, I checked out your website and really liked that exhaust set up you have a picture of. Very cool!
Old 01-03-2002, 05:10 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys might want to check out this thread. Some of the R Gruppe guys have come up with a creative and cheap substitute for a muffler. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...threadid=55444
Old 01-03-2002, 05:19 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts
A few years ago I bought a stainless 2 in/2 out sport muffler from Performance Products for some new SSIs I installed on my car. It had dual 4"? tips that were not aimed properly for a Carrera (aim was higher for the older 911). This was as recommended by Bruce Anderson in his book. It was SO LOUD, I could put a tricked out Harley to shame. It was much louder than the B&B exhaust on the 3.2 I rode in a few years ago, and that one I think had their standard loud muffler. In the 10 minutes I drove it, I was afraid of getting pulled over by the cops. Bruce Anderson wrote me back and admitted he never heard PP's muffler, thought they offered it for him to test. Needless to say, I returned the muffler back and took off all the SSI stuff until I found the right muffler. The SSIs are still sitting in a box today. Irv Love at Performance Products told me they had only sold one of those mufflers before me. He said one day the Carrera with that muffler had started up in their parking lot, and it was so shockingly loud and raspy, car alarms were set off, and everyone came out of the offices and showroom to see what was going on. The one I had I think was imported from Germany by them (probably FVD). Since then they have added the Danske sport which I think though look similar, sounds much quieter. I don't know if they had their German muffler revised since then though. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:01 PM
Hugh
Advanced

I'm in a bit of a quandary over my muffler too. A month or so ago I put a single-in, dual-out B&B muffler with 3" round tips on my 3.2. The headers are stock and I have a cat bypass. The car is LOUD AS HELL, with a really bass-heavy sound. It sets off car alarms, shakes the paint off my house, renders the stereo all but useless and sets up some rather psychologically distressing resonance in the back seats. Needless to say, my wife and neighbors hate it. My dog even complains. I would much rather have a slightly quieter, more mid-range sounding muffler (a more "Porsche," angry-turbine sound), but I don't want to lose the flow benefits this thing seems to provide. I've done no comparisons, but with C2 cams, I can tell you the top end of the rev range is pretty incredible these days. I've read on a couple threads here that the GHLs are nice-sounding and not-too-loud, but are pretty restrictive. I've heard the Dansk on one of my mech's customer cars and it sounds good, but he says it doesn't flow anything like the B&B. Should I be wringing my hands over this, or should I just shut up and get a "medium-loud" GHL?

Even if I don't get a straight answer (which may not exist), at least this is a good impression of the B&B muffler for Mark.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2002, 08:10 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Guys,

I don't think I have ever actually heard the B&B dual exhaust. I can tell you that the Dansk dual inlet, single outlet sport muffler has a nice sound ... louder than stock, but not shockingly loud. However, the performance benefits are minimal compared to the the Dansk dual in/dual outlet exhaust. I noticed the difference immediately. The engine revved so much more freely right up to redline. Of course, I also HEARD the differnce too. Still, I wasn't setting off car alarms - while this was on my 3.2L. Now I've retained the SSI's and Dansk dual outlet on my 3.6L engine, and this thing ROARS!

I think that for great looks AND performance without obnoxiously loud exhaust note, I would try a Monty, dual in/SINGLE out. Again, I cannot speak from personal experience on this, but I have a lot of respect for Steve Weiner's professional opinion and he likes the Monty (see above) as do several other experts. Perhaps some others out there can chime in on the Monty mufflers.

As for the Dansk, I have no complaints. It works great with the SSIs, looks super and does not seem to restrict the 3.6L engine at all (if this engine is being "strangled" by the exhaust, then I wouldn't want to drive the car with a larger exhaust or "headers" because I don't think I could handle it on the streets around here). The engine revs like crazy all the way to 7000 RPM (and beyond, but I'm avoiding doing that).

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6L
Old 01-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Dean
Instructor

I have heard the center outlet sport mufflers and I think they could get you a ticket on the street. At least I know a guy who got a ticket with this exhaust.
Dean
Old 01-05-2002, 09:06 AM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

Seems like that if you want an muffler that liberates more power, it's going to be loud.

Last month I modified my stock muffler, removing the steel wool packing and tube. I replaced it with 2 baffles. It's louder than stock, especially at idle. However, the difference in power output is amazing and the exhaust note at 5500 RPM isn't unlike a 917 (I'm running a cat bypass pipe and stock heat exchangers).
I agree with Richard; yeah it's louder but I'm not giving up the extra power!

Quick Reply: sport mufflers from AJ USA and Performance Products