Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

help quick with purchase decision!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:01 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help quick with purchase decision!

I have come down to two choices of 911 and I am going to pick one up tomorrow. One is a 84 coupe with 119k and in great shape. The downside is the car is burgundy in my opinion. Does this color look purple. Or is it good looking. Not a huge fan of purple. The other is an 85 traga white with red interior. This car has 81k and is in perfect shape, not a thing wrong with it at all. I like coupes better but man this car is nice. This one is about 3k more than the other car. which would you guys choose, I would not ask but I am lost in decision. Are there any benefits to the coupes or targas besides leaks, and no top. Is one heavier than the other for example. Please help.
thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 05:33 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

here are the two cars
Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2007, 08:03 PM
rpastir
Intermediate

I'd go with the Targa. That's a really cool color combo. Of course, I'm a little biased, being a Targa owner.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

purple coupe is nice.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

I am swaying towards the purple one. Trans just rebuilt. he is asking 11,600. Is this a fair price. He has a lot of the service records. Will 18 inch wheels fit under these cars. I have a set of 18 rh wheels and was thinking of using them.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:51 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

I'am leaning towards the coupe myself, but the mileage IS a little on the high side...
boy, what a great decision to have to have!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
DonMo
Advanced

Not a big fan of purple out side or red inside. I admit the coupe is a little nicer to look at.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
onlycafe
Advanced

targa. no doubt.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 PM
fat cab
Pro

keep looking around, how can i get hold of the owner of the white targa?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coupe or Targa is a very personal preference. Only you can make that choice.

Targa's are slightly heavier and will not be as stiff as a coupe. Though, you most likely won't notice all that much difference (in either weight or stiffness) on regular street driving.

However, if you can live with either, then these cars become more of a comparison. What kind of history do these cars have? How do you intend to use a 911? Weekend driver, daily driver, track/timed events? The premium on the '85 might be worth it if it also is in better condition. We have very little information and few pictures to go on to make an educated decision here.

If the '85 has major issues that are present or looming, it may not be worth the premium. The fresh trans in the '84 is a plus since it's at least a couple grand to freshen up a 915 transmission; more if the clutch is done at the same time (which one hopes that it is). Again, at this age, mileage isn't always everything and condition means a lot.

Is the paint original on these cars? If not, was the repaint done to a high standard and what was the reason for a repaint? Porsche paint is extremely robust and can last 40 years if well taken care of. If either car needs paints, you can spend $2000 to $8000 in a hurry for a proper paint job. How are the interiors? Very worn interiors can be costly to restore to a high standard. Materials are expensive. For example, new seat leather can cost a $1000, not including installation/restoration labor. Even though these cars are fully zinc coated, they can still rust in places. Does either car have any rust?

The '84 for $11,600 is almost cheap, even with that mileage. It makes me wonder what is wrong with it. $14,600 for the '85 is also a good price if it's a solid car.

18's on a 3.2 Carrera? These cars were never design for that large of a rim/tire combo. I personally think 18's look odd on these older cars, but again, my opinion on looks doesn't count. Only your opinion on looks counts. You must insure that the offsets of the rims you have are correct. Looks are a personal preference, but there is something to be said for leaving the very lightweight, high strength forged Fuchs on these cars. 911's handle exceptionally well in stock condition if everything is set up right and in good order. The '84 looks like it's been dropped quite a bit; even below Euro spec. You need to insure that car is set up right suspension wise.

The '84 is most likely Ruby Red Metallic. Have you seen this car in person? This shot above might be showing the incorrect hue. In person, it's more maroon than purple. Below is a Ruby Red car in better light:

Drive both. Have a mechanic that is familiar with 911's look over your first choice (Pre Purchase Inspection) and get a list together of everything the car needs. If your first choice isn't too good and/or the repairs needed to get the car right is well past your budget, look over the other car. It's nice to have two to choose from.

You always need $1000 to $3000 extra after buying these cars to sort them out. No matter what anyone says, they all need something. All of these cars are getting to be $25,000 cars. Either pay up front, or pay on the back end as you repair items that needs attention.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2

Last edited by Jay H; 05-13-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

Targe. Just feels nice
Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a purple Carrera at my college valet parking job, it was nice. The purple in the pic doesn't quite look right, either the hue as someone mentioned or maybe a repaint? If you get the Targa maybe remove the white paint on the rims, I think they look best with black or silver centers - just me of course. Coupe's will have better chassis stiffness and no targa top leaks, etc. and their lines are cleaner. Both look like nice cars though.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyN
If you get the Targa maybe remove the white paint on the rims
Just an FYI... The white Fuchs on the Targa were most likely factory since Grand Prix white painted Fuchs were an option choice.

White over red is a great combo.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1984s were Ruby Red. This color was only offered in the 911 line on 83 SCs and 84 Carreras. Here is my 83 SC:

It looks purple when dirty...not sure why. Cleaned up in sunlight, it is a rich merlot color. I get a lot of compliments on it. Nice thing is that it's different, in the sea of guards red and black cars.

You didn't mention what you are using the car for....if tracking or autoxing, I'd go coupe. For nice weather weekend car, the targa is a nice feature. I prefer the looks of coupes.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:50 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The paint on the couple looks tired. It doesn't have the same "pop" that the Ruby Red cars posted have. I like the Targa...it looks well-maintained. The only thing I'd do would be to polish the Fuchs.

Has either car had the valve guides done? That's a problem with that vintage car, and it's more likely to be a problem sooner in the higher mileage car.

People often say, buy the best one you can afford. To my eye, the Targa is the better of the two. Don't forget to get a PPI before you buy.

Quick Reply: help quick with purchase decision!