Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dumb Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
spode134
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Alignment question

When setting the rear toe or camber, should you unweight the rear wheels?
Seems like it might twist when you loosen the bolts...

Darrin.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

No you do all alignment settings with the car sitting on its wheels, since you want the settings to be made at the way the car is going to be as it's driving down the road. Besides, when the weight is off the wheels they droop down and have a lot of positive camber in this position.

---Chris A.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When measuring for the alignment, of course you want to be on the ground. The actual adjustments can be made unweighted.

For setting camber in the rear, I put the car up on the lift, loosen the trailing arm bolts then make my adjustments. The relationship of camber at droop and at ride height is pretty close to linear. My Car had 2 degrees negative at ride height and I wanted 2.5 negative. Up on the lift it had .7 degrees positive. I dialed that to .2 degrees positive and when I dropped it down I had the 2.5 negative I wanted.

Toe is the same. Take your measurements on the ground, then put the car up and loosen the bolts. Then measure the axle to a reference point on the chassis-I used the spring plate cover. Then you can go a little "more" or "less" toe. It's a little trial and error but you'll get it there.

I've never done it weighted, but if you do you'll need slip plates to let the wheels go to the settings you want. And I don't trust the eccentrics to hold anything once those trailing arm bolts are loose...especially if they are supporting the car.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
spode134
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, it looks to be way easier with the wheel off to get at the bolts anyways but just wanted to be sure.
Darrin.

Quick Reply: Dumb Alignment question