Oil level guage pegged

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:33 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil level guage pegged

I have a 1988 Carrera 3.2.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason the oil level guage pegged to the top and has stayed there. The level on the dipstick is normal (checked with engine running at operating temp), so it appears to be a problem with the guage or the sender/float.

Does anybody know what might have caused this and how to fix it/how much it might cost?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Like you said, probably the sender, if its not that most likely the gauge itself. I think it would be pegged to the bottom if the gauge was broken though. If you dont wrench yourself just take it to your mechanic he should be able to determine if its the sender in a few minutes. Not too expensive to replace, but if you dont want to pay its not really that important, just make sure you check your dipstick often.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Try checking the wire connections on the oil tank itself. It's under the right rear quarter behind the rear wheel. There are wires running to the sender that are accessible and reachable. As I remember they are held in place with an 8mm bolt. Look at the wires to make sure their attached and check tightness of bolts!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

If the wire breaks / disconects . it will peg at the top, check the wiring to the sender on the oil tank behind the rear passanger wheel. If you take the wire off the centre connection of the sender and ground it and the gage goes back tot he bottom it is the sender in the tank. Like Oshin says pretty easy to replace. Just amke sure you clean off all the grime and silt before removing sender as it may fall in your oil tank.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Ah, it's in the wheel well...yes, that makes sense. We pressure washed the wheel wells a couple days ago to prepare the car for a concours. Probably broke it or knocked the wiring loose in the process. I'll check it when I get home tonight.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ssch, every car I looked at when I got mine was pegged at the bottom. everyone said the guage hadn't worked in years. I walked away from some nice cars (assuming lack of attention to a big issue). every time I fire mine up the guage slowly goes to the top and stays. the colder it is the longer it takes. I havn't checked the dipstick in 800 miles and it was full when I did. my question is: how low does it have to get in the tank before the gauge reads low? is it 1,2,3,or 4 quarts?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts

My gage reads at the when the dipstick is at the full mark , and is just touching the red when I am at the bottom mark so I think that min to max on an SC anyway is 2 litres...

Quick Reply: Oil level guage pegged