Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'71 911T value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:26 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb '71 911T value?

Does anybody know the ballpark value of such a survivor that runs well but has dull silver paint?

No sunroof
5 speed
Zenith carbs
15" Fuchs (original?)

Last edited by LaughaC; 05-08-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris: Check out "carsthatmatter.com", it's not the last word but it will give you an idea regarding price.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

I've seen running 1971 Ts from $10 to $35K...you have to post some pics to get a better guess...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Hey Pedro, that's why I didn't offer up a number! What a crazy time we're in! That's another car that I should have bought three of when they were $5K each...
Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, clean and unmolested longhood cars are now in a completely different type of market than 74-and-later cars. It's more like the 356 market. They're becoming collector cars rather than bargain performance cars. This is a shame for racers, since these used to make light and inexpensive starter tubs for track cars.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Hey Pedro, that's why I didn't offer up a number! What a crazy time we're in! That's another car that I should have bought three of when they were $5K each...

Pete...to raise price you just need to watch Le Mans and feel Mr McQueen driving through the French countryside on the first scenes!

I'm a big fan of the 2.2 cars...and considering your book's summation (8th edition page 64) on the 2.2s...you are a fan as well!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Thanks for introducing me to www.carsthatmatter.com, Pete. I've ordered the book and will be able to search the site when they ship me the book code.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Before guessing a price, one needs to understand what car he has/wants to...

I found this Sports Car Magazine's scale very interesting...from 1 to 6...obviously there are variations between the classes, mainly between #3 and #4 (3.1 , 3.2 , 3.3...etc...), but this scale helps indeed...

1 - National concours standard, perfect
2 - Very good, club concours, some small flaws
3 - Average daily driver in decent conditon
4 - Driver, but with apparent flaws
5 - Runs, but has many problems
6 - Parts car
Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

If we went back in time to 1995, I would give this '71 a 3.5 as an "average" driver's car for it's age.

The paint is faded silver and the right front fender is starting to rust at the edge, creating a lumpy spot in the paint about the size of a silver dollar.

Other than that the car just appears to need a good detail job. It's been in a barn for years, but started occasionally.

The engine started right up once fuel got to the Zenith carbs, and it drove fine considering the dry rotted tires.

I need to research more to determine if this vehicle is worth $10k or less. One like it, but with fresh blue paint, is offered for $25k about 30 miles away.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Pedro: LeMans is just great - I think that I'll get it out of storage and watch it this weekend!

Chris: I'm not being critical here, but be careful when you say "just like it.", the under skin differences can be enormous. For many years my shop serviced/maintained a '71T for a customer. She sold her car to a guy that we knew, in the late '80s, who, in turn, decided that he wanted to experience a "new" '71T. He loved the car, maybe not as much as he loved the stunning blonde who sold it to him, but I prepared some estimates and we started the project. My shop removed the engine and trans for complete refurbishment, down to the correct finish on every nut, bolt and washer. While we did the engine the body shop did their thing, going as far as to duplicate the fog-like finish inside the trunk, refinish the entire underbelly of the car to concour level, take the entire car to bare metal, lead any imperfections, and paint the original color (red) with Urethane Enamel by Glasurit. While the car was in primer the upholstery shop repaired/replaced every part of the interior, rebuilt the sunroof mechanisms, etc. When the project was done the cost had pushed north of $40K, and everybody involved loved doing the car, but still thought the guy was nuts. He sold it years later for about $25K, then the market turned and I'll bet the car would bring $75K today. The point of this long-winded story is that I'll bet that car looked as good as your $25K car - before we started the restoration! Yes, pretty paint (good jobs are going between $4K and $7K these days) means a lot, but never, ever get emotionally charged up by that smooth, shiny, finish. Always have a PPI done, hopefully by someone who knows the long hood cars, before writing that check. You must know if the pool is filled with water before you do a canonball off the diving board! Cars That Matter uses a 4-point scale, with four being the weakest. Their "four" is considered a "fair" daily driver that has all of its parts, but needs a lot of work which can include paint/body/interior and mechanical. Their retail price for a four is $11,100 without sunroof (+ 5% for sunroof). Their #1 is $36,900!
Happy negotiating!

Quick Reply: '71 911T value?