Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I did the money shift .....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,121 Likes on 802 Posts
Default I did the money shift .....

I was out last night driving around with a friend last night as she had never been in A Porsche . although I was not showing off, I was driving a little more aggresive than normal so she could have a good time. As we were doing more talking than anything I was not concentrating and did the money shift. I went into third on acceleration instead of fifth.
As I started to let the clutch out i felt the car instantly decel and hammered the clutch back in. ( remember this is all happening in a fraction of a second ) . I changed into 5th and let the car crusie for a while while the lump in my throat subsided... then there was the burning smell, followed by the red light on the dash. Of course I must have flipped the fan belt and she quickly self destructed. Ten minutes later my new belt was on and we were on our way. She was freaked out a little as we were on a pitch black country road. Thank goodness for my mag flashlight and toolkit and spare belt.

Now everything SEEMS okay. The car idles okay, doesn't make any undue noises. Should I have more stuff checked or do I just drive it and wait for other signs of trouble.

How would I know if I had bent any valves ? and is it worth getting a compresion check or leakdown to see if anything is not sitting properly. Part of the problem is I have no baseline chaeck and wouldn't know if it was a recent development.

Thoughts >???
Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 PM
emac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ice

I did the same thing last year doing about 100MPH. Thank God for seat belts as I would have been out the front window. I had to replace my clutch. And when I was pulled believe it or not it was a rubber center. I assume it had never been changed. Had it replaced and no issues to date.

Ernie 81 SC
Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

hope it works out man. chicks'll fuch ya

get another car to drive them in, beter yet get smaller seats that are uncomfortable for the passenger.
Then it goes like this, "that other one has better seats, lets go in that one"
BMW's are cheap insurance and hondas and trucks and and
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

guys come on .... it was my wifes cousin's wife ... but then again she was pretty hot... ...but I digress.. does anyone have an opinion on the actual car .... ??
Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ice: Do a leakdown test. No baseline needed, if each cylinder is less than 10% you're good to go.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

thanks Pete ....

any advice about the leakdown ? I know you have made particular comments on the leakdown before ... and how to check it ..
Old 05-07-2007, 03:23 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Hey Iceman,
What's with you and changing belts in the middle of nowhere?
You can drive without the belt just keep an eye on the temp. gauge.
Have you done the "seat of your pants" test?
If the car pulls as well as it ever did would it not be fine?
Do you remember if you hit the rev. limiter?
Rod
Old 05-07-2007, 03:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hi Rod .. no kidding about the belt ... I got it done in under 10 minutes in the dark. The only thing that made it take that long even was the fact the pulley was so hot. I realize I could have made it home , especially since it was so cold. I just didn't want to chance running the battery down ( as it as at night ) with the lights , then having to put the belt on and not being able to restsrt in case I didn't make it .

I have not given it the WOT test as you can imagine after i got it home I didn't feel like it and this morning just checked that it would start and run. I will check it out tonight when I clean all of the rubber crap out of the engine ... again ... So in my trunk went my backup belt to my back up belt..

..again ....
Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time just use the old "Oh, I think we are out of gas" routine to get some quality side of the dark road time! No need to granade a motor for that!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ice: When the leak down test is performed always put the engine on TDC for the cylinder that you're going to test before removing the spark plug for that cylinder. Do the test on a cool motor, which simply makes plug removal, engine turning, etc., easier. Hope it turns out OK!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Drew

Funny thing was I said to her that if we had been kids I'd be saying " your not going to belive this but we just ran out of gas" as we rolled to a stop ..

Pete

I'll see if I can git er done soon. I have an air compresor so I will see if I can get the stuff to do it myself.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 PM
graeme36s
Racer

IMO I reckon you'll be OK. As you had not hammered the clutch home and realised your mistake as the clutch was released all should be well.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 PM
gunlover05
Racer

dude, best of luck! sounds like you are pretty much ok....seems like a few who do the "money shift" know immediately after if there was major damage...i've got a good feeling in my gut you got away with this one.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Bent valves and thrown rods are unmistakable and you would have heard and felt it. That said, it's possible that you spun a bearing that will reveal itself in just a few weeks. If you're paranoid, do a leakdown. Otherwise, go out and run the car up to redline and you'll find out if there is any permanent damage. If it pulls strong like before, and you don't hear any rod knocks, then you're probably OK.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:40 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ice,
I'm sure it'll be OK. I will drink from the "Good Luck" Beer mug tonight for you.

I only have two things more to say.................................................

guys come on .... it was my wifes cousin's wife ...

But are they Happy?????????????

... but then again she was pretty hot...
You know how us rennlisters love photos

Quick Reply: I did the money shift .....