Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Project #2: Leaky Hoses------Found Part #s!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn, Seattle can you take a look at the picture with the orange clamp.....does that pipe need changing? Possibly it could wait until I do a rebuild or engine drop. I am having tons of fun! Except with the simple green and cleaning the gunk, its taking way too long for it to be rewarding enough, I spend so much money on cleaning products I would have been better off taking it for a professional steam cleaning....which is probably what I will do. I am not changing the hoses just for the sake of it, a PPI inspection deemed them necessary to change. I don't know how **** that mechanic was being but if I took all this time taking the pipes out I think its worth it to pay a couple of hundred bucks to replace them all.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:54 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Oshin,

I looked at your photo and I agree with the others that that is not a leak. The orange thing is just a piece of metal wrapped around the pipe with two holes at each end of the metal so that you can screw this "hold down" down to the engine. The orange is just a little insulation between the hold down and the oil line. It is highly unlikely, I would think, that the oil line has a hole underneath the hold down. I would just take some brake cleaner and some paper towels and clean that area very well. Then the next time you drive it hard, look under at it again and see if it is dripping with oil. If not, then you are cool.

By the way, a nice way to degrease all that stuff is at a coin car wash. You can spray the degreaser on there and then blast it away with hot water and that way you don't have to worry about the environment (because they collect the runoff.)

My mechanic also told me at my PPI that my oil lines needed changing. But only the hybrid metal-rubber lines. They leak at the junction. After I changed mine, no more dirty looking oil lines. I wouldn't change the all metal lines unless you bought them already. Take a picture after the install, because as my buddy told me they will never look that good again.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The orange thing you guys are talking about look like an Adel clamp. We used them quite exstensively when overhauling jet aircraft engines. They are a piece of metal with a rubber surround to prevent chafing and vibration and have a mounting hole. That pipe looks OK to me and it is very thick. You'd have to have cut it or bent it severely to get it to leak. The leak is from somewhere else and migrates to that area. Most of the hoses from the tank to thermostat, engine to thermostat, etc, have been crimped to prevent them from leaking. I used my Dremel tool to cut the leaking crimped ends off and put new rubber hose on the ends and secured them with high pressure hydraulic clamps ( about $2-$3 each). I have no leaks and have not have a problem with the clamps loosening. Total cost was about $50 bucks to do them all. Just had to make sure to get the correct hose inside diameter to ensure a correct fit prior to clamping.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:14 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oshin11, forgot to say. If those two braided hoses connecting the hard oil lines to the oil cooler are not leaking, leave them alone. I know they cost about $25 bucks apiece, but they can be a pain to replace. It requires large wrench sizes to brak them loose adequately. It's very tight in the wheel well and you have to be careful not to get oil all over you. I had to loosen the oil cooler a little as well as the mounting screws for the two hard lines so i could move the braided ones a little. going back together seemed easier since the new lines were more flexible. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Yea I have already removed all the lines so no big deal spider. I am only changing rubber and hybrid rubber/metal lines, no full metal lines. It was much easier to remove te rubber ones near the oil cooler if you take the front right wheel off the car. Not sure if I will waste my time taking the car to a coin wash, I think I am just going to have it professionally steam cleaned.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Default COMPLETE!

Thanks everyone for the help, changed out a lot of oil circulation stuff and new filter, etc... Because the car sat around so long, almost ALL the oil was drained. Every time i jacked up one side more oil would pour out. I poured 12 quarts of oil in today and it still could use maybe another quart before it gets to the top mark of the dipstick. Car purrs very nicely now but I do smell a little burning oil, however its not leaking a drop of oil anymore. Could just be working out the kinks. My car is running a sliver warmer than usual but I did just change to Valvoline VR1 Racing oil for the first time. All seems well so I will now tackle the tie rod project and I am sure I'll run into some sort of need for advice so I will post when necessary. However I do want to drive the car for a week because I miss it a lot!

PS. My oil pressure is a tiny sliver above the "1" mark on the gauge, thats normal right?
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: Project #2: Leaky Hoses------Found Part #s!!!