Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 09:00 AM
Orbitguy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapper

Originally Posted by theiceman
Pretty sure OP is still in prison .

depending if you have auto heat r not , might be different.
But bottom line there are two heater boxes under the car that have flaps that open and close to control the heat. . they are operated by cables, start there.
thanks much

jeff
Old 05-09-2024, 11:53 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts

Hi Jeff. Welcome to Rennlist! Yeah, you won't be getting any responses from the OP.

Lots of good info in the material posted by Mike Murphy (above). There was also a recent thread that delves into the operation of auto heat and the heater boxes: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ing-noise.html

If between your seats you have two levers with red plastic *****, you have manual heat. If instead you have a box with a dial that goes from 0-10, then you have auto heat. It may or may not also have a single lever with a red plastic **** - that is a back up in case the auto heat function fails, but not all cars with auto heat have that.

If you post some photos of your controls and also your engine bay, that will give us more info. The important thing to know is a stock setup has the two heater boxes under the car near the rear shocks. There is always hot air flowing to them from the engine. If the flaps are closed, the heat is dumped under the car. If they are open, the heat makes its way to the cabin through hoses that pass through the rockers under each door. There are also various fans that boost the flow of air. Assuming you have manual heat, the two levers should open and close the flaps. They also activate the heater blower in the engine compartment (assuming you still have that, sometimes they are removed).

The heater boxes take a lot of abuse from the elements, and it isn't unusual for them to be rusted open or closed. That could be your main issue, but if you have auto heat, it could also be malfunctioning and leaving the flaps open all the time.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 05-10-2024, 02:46 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

my 88 cab has the two levers and 4 speed fan speed dial on the console.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:59 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts

I think that is still manual heat, but they added the dial for fan speed in the Carreras.

The two levers indicate manual heat. See this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-87-911-a.html

Mark
Old 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,081 Likes on 773 Posts

should be an easy fix then

could the dial be for the footwell blowers ? i have an SC so i dont have those .
Old 05-13-2024, 09:03 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
should be an easy fix then

could the dial be for the footwell blowers ? i have an SC so i dont have those .
Dial that goes from 0-3 is manual heat and is for control of the footwell blowers.
Levers in front of it turn on the engine blower and control the temp of the heat.
The power to the engine blower powers a relay that enables power to the switch to control the footwell blowers. If the levers are down all the way the footwell blower is not powered because there is no power to the engine blower.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,081 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by eflight
Dial that goes from 0-3 is manual heat and is for control of the footwell blowers.
Levers in front of it turn on the engine blower and control the temp of the heat.
The power to the engine blower powers a relay that enables power to the switch to control the footwell blowers. If the levers are down all the way the footwell blower is not powered because there is no power to the engine blower.
so sounds like they resolved the issue of my shoes melting in my SC then.. lol

Quick Reply: Heat thru vents all the time.