Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RS/RSR books

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:09 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 468 Posts
Default RS/RSR books

Hello all. This is my first time on this board(usually on the 993 board)and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm wondering what books are out there devoted specifically to the 70's RS/RSR. I know there was a very detailed book(serial numbers and all) published in the early 90's, but I think it's very hard to come by. Any help with the title and where to get would be greatly appreciated. Any other titles on this subject would also help. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Tim:

You need a copy of John Starkey's "R-RS-RSR" book.

Its published by Veloce Publishing; a UK outfit. You can also Google John Starkey (he lives in the US) and contact him to see if he has any copies.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Thanks Steve. Just a quick look between periods(wake up Vancouver!), reveals Veloce is out of stock. I checked ebay and found one in "good" condition(taped tear good cond?) for $180. Definitely something I'm interested in. The other book that I'm thinking about had two authors, any thoughts? Thanks again for the help!
PS: You must be the famous Steve W. I hope to meet you someday. My 993, while running strong, burns one litre every 7-800 miles. Is it THAT TIME?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 AM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The other book you are referring to is "Carrera RS", written by Georg Kondradsheim and Thomas Gruber. Gives a complete history of the development of the RS, has the serial numbers and options of every RS made, and is worth every penny you spend to get it. I used to see copies on ebay regularly, but not recently.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:39 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

There we go. Those were the books I was thinking of. Now if anyone can steer me in the right direction, I'd really like to add them to my car **** library. By the way Steve, I emailed the Starkey website to see if they could help with that book. Thanks guys!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Thanks Steve. Just a quick look between periods(wake up Vancouver!), reveals Veloce is out of stock. I checked ebay and found one in "good" condition(taped tear good cond?) for $180. Definitely something I'm interested in. The other book that I'm thinking about had two authors, any thoughts? Thanks again for the help!
PS: You must be the famous Steve W. I hope to meet you someday. My 993, while running strong, burns one litre every 7-800 miles. Is it THAT TIME?
My pleasure, anytime.

One litre every 700-800 miles? Yessir, you're due,...
Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a copy of Starkey's book, it is my understanding these are selling for about $300 these days. There are other good Porsche books as well that have sections on various race models. What type of information are you looking for, the pbase website has some great pics of RSR's that have a lot more detail than anything I have ever found in print.
Phil

Quick Reply: RS/RSR books