Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

IF you were going to sell your 911....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IF you were going to sell your 911....

AND the condition was as described below......
What if anything would you fix before trying to sell?

84 Carrera
107,000 miles
tires 60-70% tread wear on SO3's, one is basically new.
Front brakes probably need new pads, rotors were replaced last time.
Rear brakes need rotors and pads, no doubt.

Clutch is fine now, but is posiblky the original, as I have no records of it being changed.

Gearbos is typical 915; it also works fine if used properly (aka, the way it seems to demand for downshifting into 1st.)

Interior is 85-90% original in good condition. New headliner and dash, although the dash has warped again and needs to be replaced.

Engine runs strong w/o hesitations and it always starts (when it has gas!).

Sunroof cables were recently replaced, but the fix was not permanent as it will not open again, more than 1/2" on the passenger side.

I suspect it needs new shocks.

Here's the bottom line:
Whit these repairs eminent, if not necessary now..... would you fix ANY or ALL of them prior to listing the car for sale?

I almost think I would prefer as a buyer to know these issues and get them repaired myself as I saw fit, rather than paying more now for the seller to pad the costs of the repairs and not necessarily have taken it to a shop that I trusted.

What are the opinions out there; both from a sellers' and buyers' perspective?
+++

Color is Ruby Metallic w/ cork interior (non-sport seats)

Last edited by Dan Cobb; 04-21-2007 at 01:55 AM. Reason: drunk men cannot type worth a doody.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:13 AM
morganb
Instructor

For small costs I would repair before selling. Having 3 to 5 outstanding items would make me think the owner did not care about the car so much and make me worry that there may be other items. I would then base my offer with that in mind.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:05 PM
rentadate
Instructor

well call the guy and find out why these small repairs haven't been done. Perhaps he has been hanging around trying to save money and gave up. It is nice to see that someone is being honest. But I agree with morganb because there is a possibility that he just neglected the car. Also it gives you a window on what needs to be repaired...most likely there will be a lot more repairs on the way. I've found out the hard way.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd do the little stuff like brake pads just to shorten the list and then point out what else needs to be done to any potential buyer...to appear honest!

Marc
Old 04-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dan...you already listed an honest description of flaws...I'd price my car accordingly and wait for the right buyer...

Quick Reply: IF you were going to sell your 911....