Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Made my own door panels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi V8,

I don't know if it's an Australian thing or whether I'm just stupid, but, I don't know what this means???

Eat some Monster cookies for me will you?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:55 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

What about aluminum panels? Pretty cold in the winter months, but you could buff out the scratches instead of recovering them.

Hi Dan,

That's not a bad idea. I think polished aluminium is a bit “race car” look but I’m sure it would be very popular.

What I think would be nice is have the panel anodized. That way it could be any colour you want.

The only problem I see with aluminium panels is, in the original panels there are a few holes that are use to take the heads of screws that hold things into the door. (like the winder mechanism). If you don’t have these holes the panel won’t sit flat against the door.

I can think of a few ways to over come this but it would be very labor intensive.

Also 3mm Alu would be a bit heavy for door panels and if you went to say, 1mm, you wouldn’t be buffing the scratches out, they would be dents.

Food for thought.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolutely right about the fitment not being 'flat' due to the various components that project out beyond the mating surface of the sheet metal.
Perhaps these reasons combined explain why Porsche decided to use the same methods and materials for nearly 30 years.
+++
Old 04-26-2007, 12:06 AM
vincenttt
Advanced

Can you tell me were you got your bezels ?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:08 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Hi Vincent,
I got the bezels from the Porsche dealer. 964 RS parts.

A964 555 761 01 For the handle

964 555 761 00 For the strap

Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 AM
vincenttt
Advanced

Thanks Frank,
Old 05-02-2007, 10:41 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mate where did you source the vinyl?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Hi JV,
I got the vinyl from my local auto upholsterer here in Wnagaratta. Good quality, thicker than the stuff you can get at Clark Rubber. He charged me $20 a metre and I got both panels from the 1 metre.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:26 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks heaps!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

OK, here’s a follow up.

I did a trial fit of the door panels tonight.

They don’t look too bad but the screws that hold the handle onto the door need to be a bit longer. Also there needs to be a spacer between the rear of the panel and the door, so that the screws go through the handle, the panel, then the spacer and then screw into the door.
This will push the panel away from the door slightly (in the middle) so as to make a better seal around the lock **** bezel. (Mine is the later screw on type)

In the picture there are a few bits of grey sticky tape that are holding the plastic (water proofing membrane) to the door. On the finished article the membrane will be glued to the door and the sticky tape won’t be visible there.

You can see that I have tried to replicate the original RS door fasteners, There are 5 screws that hold the panel to the bottom of the door. 3 right at the bottom, 1 up a little bit at the front and 1 slightly higher at the rear.

The one at the front I had to drill a hole in the door and file it out square to accept the genuine expander nut.
The one at the rear picks up one of the original “push clip” holes in the door but, again, I have filed it out square to accept the OEM fasteners.
The three across the bottom I have used stainless steel countersunk metal threads to pick up the existing mounting points that were in the door for the original panels. I had to use these or the captive nuts in there would rattle.
(Once finally fitted, I will color the heads black to match the other 2 screws in the door)
The front and rear screws are OEM for that purpose and all the screw fasteners sit in OEM Protection washers. These are a black cup washer, but they have a back on them so as to not cut through the panel cover as they are tightened.

At the moment I'm pretty happy with them

I have yet to experiment with spacer types and sizes.

One more thing to the list!!!

Last edited by psychoideas; 08-27-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:57 AM
951kid
Advanced

looks like you're doing some great work, keep it up!

Quick Reply: Made my own door panels!