Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Has anyone had this problem with their turn signal combination switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:35 AM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upgrading from stock headlights to H4's and not adding the needed headlight relays is certain death for the turn signal, high beam low beam switch!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:58 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hi Brett, things are going well. Yes, I have warmed up to the blue interior...

The car is running great. I have sorted out the major issues and have been using it as my daily driver.

I fixed the turn signal issue with little difficulty. The inserts that attach the horn pad and springs to the wheel were worn, so I special ordered them from Porsche. Thanks to those who gave great advice on bending the contact strips.

My next project now has to be my A/C, which only blows ambient temperature air. It must have a leak. The immediate need became apparent when I had to drive to Palm Springs for business, a regular monthly appointment.

Are you going to the Porsche Parade? I wish that you could pay a daily fee, since I only to attend a 1 days event.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tone40
The car is running great. I have sorted out the major issues and have been using it as my daily driver.

I fixed the turn signal issue with little difficulty. The inserts that attach the horn pad and springs to the wheel were worn, so I special ordered them from Porsche. Thanks to those who gave great advice on bending the contact strips.

My next project now has to be my A/C, which only blows ambient temperature air. It must have a leak. The immediate need became apparent when I had to drive to Palm Springs for business, a regular monthly appointment.

Are you going to the Porsche Parade? I wish that you could pay a daily fee, since I only to attend a 1 days event.
Daily driver... sweet.

Yeah, I'll be in the Concours. Probably won't be a strong showing for me though. I've got some other big projects going on right now, and I just don't have the time to prep the car to a high standard. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck with the AC. I need to tackle that one some day, too.

Brett
Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is an age-old problem. Figure on replacing these every 65,000 miles. To do the replacement you need to remove the steering wheel (easy to do), and then with a smaller standard screwdriver, remove the black plastic steering column covers (top and bottom) and then release the turn indicator assembly and then fish out the quik connect socket. Installation is the reverse. It's very easy to do, thankfully. This is nearly as well known a problem with 911s of that era as chain tensioners.

Just do it soon,--it will drive you nuts, particularly at night as everyone will think you're flashing them all the time.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Flat6Turbo headlight relay this morning on my '84 - took 45 minutes because I spent some time hiding the relays and wiring. Hopefully that will extend the life of the switch for a long time.

Steve
84 Carrera Targa
00 M5
02 G500

Quick Reply: Has anyone had this problem with their turn signal combination switch?