Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

how much to sell a project car for

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:36 AM
77TARGA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much to sell a project car for

I discovered that I have a broken head stud yesterday , and there is no way I can afford an engine rebuild, and I am going to be moving to the islands, so I need to sell my car as is. It is a 1980 911sc euro, with a good transmission, good body (cheap paint job). I parked the car a year ago due to a bad oil leak, and finally made time to work on it, and made the horrible discovery. the engine ran strong, and it was a sudden oil leak, so I am thinking the broken stud correlates with the leak, and if that is the case minimal damage was done to the engine. How much can I sell this car for, and is there anyone in the eastern tennessee area looking for a project car? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Right now the only picture is my avatar
Old 04-13-2007, 10:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

These cars are so expensive to rebuild I am afraid anyone who payed even half way decent money would be more into it in repair than the original cost of the car. Your best hope is to find someone who fancies tackling the Job on his own. That being the case you would have to make the price really attractive. This forum would be the best place to find such a person, perhaps someone looking for a track car maybe. Not sure of what you could get for any Porsche with a busted motor on the open market. What about ebay ? you could always start with a couple of grand and see what happens.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you sure it's a broken head stud ?

A leak can occur after the car has been sitting for a long time and the selas dry up.

Pull the valve covers to check the head stud torque and change the oil while your in there.

Good luck.

John
Old 04-14-2007, 05:45 PM
77TARGA
Advanced

well today I pulled the driverside valve cover .... 3 broken studs! didn't have the heart to pull the passenger-side, but it confirms what I thought, and the car has got to go. I owe about 5600 on the car, any chance I'll be able to recoup that much?
Old 04-14-2007, 07:31 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Ouch

I do not knwo how much to value but if it's rust free and has a decent body/interior I think you should get a bit more then $6,000 for it.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have complete DOT and EPA certification for the car?
Old 04-14-2007, 07:35 PM
77TARGA
Advanced

no I don't have the DOT and EPA certs
Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I might be interested in the car:
1. Does it have a sunroof?
2. How long has it been registered in the USA? What state? Is a smog cert required?
3. If possible, please pm me the VIN and engine number.
4. Are the wheels BBS, or BBS knock-offs?
5. Does the car have Bilstein (green) or Boge (black) shocks?
Is there any evidence of past collisions or poor repairs? I know that you said cheap paint job, but was it a color change or to an original color? Please pm me and include your name. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Oldtee
Pro

I have a 87 Carrera and pulled it down to do an OH. It has 100k miles and was running. So far I have about 5K directly related to the stud and another 2k in stuff that needed do'in but could have been postponed. Hope this helps. A 80SC running is probably worth about 10-13K depending on condition and mileage. If you get 4 to 6k run to the bank and don't look back.

Quick Reply: how much to sell a project car for