Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How much for a RSR clone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

40K is probably a good median number for what you're talking about. But even then, it's probably not going to be optimized for the kind of use you're describing. Most of these cars will either be built toward period correctness, which is expensive and obviously not what you're looking for, or toward track use, which is also different from what you're talking about. If you want to hammer the gas at stoplights you're going to need to get one with a 930 or G50 transaxle, along with beefed up CV joints and axles. These cars can beat up on most modern performance cars at a race track, but I know my car would make a lousy stoplight racer. You'll have to look at what the Turbo crowd is doing in that department, and you'll have to make sure your drivetrain is as beefy as the ones that came in the turbocharged models, which isn't cheap.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Edward, Steve, and Jack, thanks for the insights! My choices right now are between a cool RSR if I can find a decent one and a decent price, a '02 996, or a '99 996 that has had it engine replaced.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:04 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

If you can stomach the looks of the 996, it's a great value and a really strong performer. There are lots of them out there. Make sure you check for the particular issues for the particular year you're looking at.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

yeah like the thing popping out of second gear on deceleration.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
If you can stomach the looks of the 996
I guess my stomach has been hurting for 2 years now......since I have owned my peptol-bismol inducing car.

I think my car is way way better looking (my avatar) than a RSR I want, but it is not as tough looking as one. I get tons of waves and compliments with my car.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:12 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Sorry -- I don't mean to insult anyone's car's styling. It's just that the most dramatic difference between a 3.6-powered longhood and a 996 is probably the exterior styling. A lot of 911 owners have issues with the 996. But for those who like it (and there are a lot of them), the mixed reviews on the styling actually make the car a better value. And there's really no knocking the 996's performance. It's a very quick and very capable car.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Sorry -- I don't mean to insult anyone's car's styling. It's just that the most dramatic difference between a 3.6-powered longhood and a 996 is probably the exterior styling. A lot of 911 owners have issues with the 996. But for those who like it (and there are a lot of them), the mixed reviews on the styling actually make the car a better value. And there's really no knocking the 996's performance. It's a very quick and very capable car.
No offense taken.

The funny thing is, is that I was not a fan of Porsche until the 996 came out and I thought finally, a Porsche that looks like an exotic car.

From non-Porsche loving friends of mine, they agree that the 996 was the best looking 911 to date.

Of course, from the air-cooled camp, the opposite as you said is expressed. I guess if you grew up around the older ones, you prefer the classic look and dislike the modern and vise versa.

I just so happen to like both classic and modern and hate the whole air vs. water.

Quick Reply: How much for a RSR clone?