Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The rebuild begins....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,

Awesome! Where did you go to college? I went to UT. Used to visit my sister at SMU all the time. Miss the tex-mex food.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I took about 60 pics of the injection setup to make sure it goes back together as it should."

What? The 911 3.2 system is a very simple system requiring at most about 5 minutes effort
to reconnect all the electricals.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 04-16-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Go play on the highway Loren - peddle your inflammatory crap somewhere else.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"I took about 60 pics of the injection setup to make sure it goes back together as it should."

What? The 911 3.2 system is a very simple system requiring at most about 5 minutes effort
to reconnect all the electricals.
Gee, I guess one can't even exagerate a point. The point I was trying to make was rerouting the wires and such to approximate factory positions. Not all of us are as smart as you are, I'd imagine, and since I'll be at this for a couple of months at least, I want references.

Why don't you go away and bash Steve Wong's chips on Pelican or something and stay off my thread if you have nothing to contribute?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeattlePorsche
Ed,

Awesome! Where did you go to college? I went to UT. Used to visit my sister at SMU all the time. Miss the tex-mex food.
Not here....I'm from California, been here about 7 years.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressively fast work, Ed !

I had a similarly expensive 'money shift' but also snapped the rockers last time around. Looks like you were lucky to just ding the crowns a tad.

Clever way to check for bent valves while in the head! Once removed, spinning them in a cordless drill will also show a wobble.

I recently had my engine out (as a firs timer) and also did the 60-plus pllus plus pictures. Eventually I moved my laptop into the garage for re-assembly given how much I had to reference. I disassembled my 3.2 intake for powder coating and REALLY used the photos then.

Best of luck with your project!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks Glenn.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that all of my exhaust valves will be replaced. With 130K on the sodium valves, the odds are it is time. I've got them figured into the budget.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
.... all of my exhaust valves will be replaced.
Good call, Ed. I didn't have a choice on mine.

Have you thought of machining out a little more room in the pistons for the valves to play? I regret not looking into this a little more as it might be good insurance. What do you think?

Cheers -
Old 04-16-2007, 02:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

Wow look like I missed a few posts as it looked like WW3 BROKE OUT HERE FOR A WHILE. Anyway just as an interesting aside, my brother was helping me once with my 944 when I snapped a timing belt ( he is a mechanic ) and the first thing he did was put the head upside down on the bench and pour some gasoline in the cavity, he said if that gas is gone soon we will know you bent something. Sure enough all the gas leaked through in about 5 minutes....
Old 04-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"stay off my thread"

My thread???????? Really now?

Think you're over on the other web site with all the juveniles? Think again!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:37 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only one person acting juvenile on this thread..... same as usual. Got anything to add that may actually help out here Loren, or just your usual "look what an a$$ I am" comentary??

Cheers
Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Wow look like I missed a few posts as it looked like WW3 BROKE OUT HERE FOR A WHILE. Anyway just as an interesting aside, my brother was helping me once with my 944 when I snapped a timing belt ( he is a mechanic ) and the first thing he did was put the head upside down on the bench and pour some gasoline in the cavity, he said if that gas is gone soon we will know you bent something. Sure enough all the gas leaked through in about 5 minutes....
I'd heard that before, way back when. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that and see what it shows.

I'm not sure of the ramifications of trying to machine pockets in the old Mahle pistons, my guess is this isn't an option. That is one of the positives of JE pistons, in that they can design and then machine the pistons for the valves, which is often done with aggressive cams.

One of my build items are a set of racing valve springs, so they will help some with valve float, in the case of a future mishap. I'm also going to put a shifter, such as the Rennshifter on for further protection. That's a nice product, on the par of Wevo, IMO, and built by a nice guy in Ft. Worth.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'd heard that before, way back when. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that and see what it shows.
I'm not sure of the ramifications of trying to machine pockets in the old Mahle pistons, my guess is this isn't an option. That is one of the positives of JE pistons, in that they can design and then machine the pistons for the valves, which is often done with aggressive cams.
I have about a 1mm relief cut in my Mahle 9.8 to one pistons so my 993 ss cams clear. just for the record...
Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM
purplehaze.
Racer

Sounds good, Ed. I haven't done it but might research it next time as well.

I also did the race springs but not much can save a mis-shift.

I chose the Harget G50 unit and LOVE it! Moves the shifter much closer, positive feel, much shorter cleaner throws. I'll get pics if you want but you seem like you know of good options.

Best of luck!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ed, sorry I missed the engine drop, it seems like all I do lately is travel or work...no weekends.
I really wanted to watch... I mean HELP :-)). I have one of these in my future and you can only read Wayne's book so many times...seeing it in real life would help me a lot.
I'll probably photograph every nut I remove.

Note to earlier poster...SMU grad here. Fun place to go to school.

Buck

Quick Reply: The rebuild begins....