Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

squeeky front end

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeky front end

Finally recieved delivery of my 85 911. I love it and its running great. It has 50k original miles and the suspension seems fine except for a horrible squeek that developed the second day. It has had very few miles on it in the last ten years and has probably not seen a raindrop. Well it saw lots of it on its first day in Ontario and now that it has dried it makes a terrible rubbery sound squeek when you push down on the suspension coming from the front of the car. When you drive it squeeks like crazy. Any suggestions or simple fixes because it seems to all work correctly. Its a widebody if that makes any difference. Thanks for any ideas. Doug
Old 04-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 2 bushings on each of the front A arms. The stock rubber ones typically don't squeak, but I suppose they can if they get old and hard. I had plastic ones (aftermarket replacements) on my 71 and 84, and they squeaked. I would spray a lubricant in them and the squeaking would stop - until I drove in the rain and it got washed out. These weren't daily drivers, so it would last at least 6 months or so. I suppose the real fix would be to replace the bushings.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
there are 2 bushings on each of the front A arms. The stock rubber ones typically don't squeak, but I suppose they can if they get old and hard. I had plastic ones (aftermarket replacements) on my 71 and 84, and they squeaked. I would spray a lubricant in them and the squeaking would stop - until I drove in the rain and it got washed out. These weren't daily drivers, so it would last at least 6 months or so. I suppose the real fix would be to replace the bushings.
+1
Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dsmyth
Finally recieved delivery of my 85 911. I love it and its running great. It has 50k original miles and the suspension seems fine except for a horrible squeek that developed the second day....
Despite the low mileage, all your rubber bushings are 22 years old, and are probably a bit 'tired' . I've replaced all of my original rubber bushings (some with polybronze bearings) in the process of a total suspension refresh, and you would not believe the difference, she's a totally different car despite the low mileage (46K at the time) when I purchased her.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 04-11-2007, 03:16 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

I think the new bushings makes sence. In the meantime what can I spray on it that will not cause any problem short term ? The squeeking is so loud. Thanks Doug
Old 04-11-2007, 06:03 PM
glenncof
Instructor

On my '85 with 177K miles driven daily in N. Cal. rain every winter for 15 years...torsion bar...jack up and spray lub (i like teflon) in the mounts at end of bars.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Doug:

There are two main sources of such noises:

1) Squeaking from a front torsion bar rubbing inside the A-arm. This is due to sagging rubber A-arm bushings that allow the torsion bar to move off-center and rub the inside of the A-arm. This is temporarily fixed by spraying a teflon-based lube into the tube, just behind the adjuster. The real fix is new bushings and there are several options.

2) Front sway bar bushings. Spray the same lube at both sides of the rubber bushings and that may help. The real cure is new bushings and lubricated with a teflon grease at installation.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
PorscheMD
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Doug:

1) Squeaking from a front torsion bar rubbing inside the A-arm. This is due to sagging rubber A-arm bushings that allow the torsion bar to move off-center and rub the inside of the A-arm. This is temporarily fixed by spraying a teflon-based lube into the tube, just behind the adjuster. The real fix is new bushings and there are several options.

2) Front sway bar bushings. Spray the same lube at both sides of the rubber bushings and that may help. The real cure is new bushings and lubricated with a teflon grease at installation.
+1
Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing

+1
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Doug:

My '83 developed an awful front end squeak a few weeks ago that drove me crazy! It was coming from A-arm bushings at the rear of the control arms. When I took them apart, it was clear from the bare metal marks on the torsion bars that the rubber bushings had sagged and the torsion bars were rubbing. It doesn't take much. The bushings looked in pretty good shape.

I just installed the Poly-Bronze bushings from Elephant and what a difference ! Highly recommended !!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input as my only 911 experience was with a 964. It sounds like the polly bronze control arm fix and new sway bar bushings are the answer. Now it sounds like new wheel bearings are in order.Even with the low mileage I guess time takes its toll. Doug
Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

I doubt that your wheel bearings need replacing at 50K miles, but the fronts are very easy to replace "while you're in there". Time sure takes its toll on bushings, etc. but in my experience, bearings & CV joints, etc. shouldn't need replacing so soon, and just need to be inspected, repacked, and adjusted if necessary.

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Quick Reply: squeeky front end