Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

trying to get the car prepped for spring!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:11 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to get the car prepped for spring!

but it isn't cooperating!! basically it runs like a sick yugo. the symptoms are: the car burns lots of gas [approx 4 mpg], it is very jerky below 3000 rpms, especially when at part throttle and sometimes breaks up above about 4300 rpm's. it is a 66 911 with weber 40ida carbs that I have been through many many times. as far as i can tell, they're all good, they are slightly rejetted, but not dramatically. all accelerator pumps are working, no gas is dripping out when the fuel pump is on, but car is not running. the fuel pressure is about 2.5 psi. my current culprit seems to be the ignition. the ignition system is brand new, it is a new 40000 volt 3 ohm coil from pertronix [model number 40511] with a new pertronix hall effect ignition [model number 1866]. it has a new distributor cap, new wires, and new plugs [ngk bp5es]. We recently took the car to a local porsche mechanic who came to the conclusion that our carbs were working properly, but we were simply not getting enough spark. we will foul a plug on occassion, but typically they just come out looking black[as opposed to brown-tan]. we have played with the carb some trying to lean it out, but the farther in we go, the worse it idles. the porshce mechanic is familiar with webbers and tuned them himself.
where i'am at now is looking for ways to boost spark. i have a capacitive discharge system, but it doesn't seem to work with a hall effect system. has anyone tried the ignition boxes from msd? mallory?
does this even sound like an ignition problem, and what would you do?
happy motoring,
Bob

Quick Reply: trying to get the car prepped for spring!