Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Recommendation for a PPI in Glendale, CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Woodenewe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding my posts, I use "woodenewe" as a user name, and I have been signing with "Bob". Oshin is correct on his comments: 1) I am very new the Porsche world and have a lot to learn, 2) I had the PPI done, 3) I was disappointed in the outcome of the PPI, and 4) I am still considering the car. I believe all that Oshin wrote above is factual and I do not dispute what he is saying. Earlier I corrected my statement; I am still considering the car. In the process of looking for a 87-89 Carrara, I am finding my expectation have not been realistic, that I will likely have to pay more than I had budgeted, and should still have a $2K reserve to make more repairs in the near term. Having elevated my $$ target, I am now looking across the spectrum of cars and have found 14 ranging in price from $15K@199K miles Targa to $28K@54K Commemorative Coupe. Unfortunately I have found little in western Washington State. Part of the issue with Oshin's car is its color; my wife is concerned that its grey-green color is perfect camouflage for a “moss-back” to drive. She is hoping for a red one.
-Bob
Old 04-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Thank you Bob I appreciated it. Most would say my color is very gorgeous in person but yes do try to find what you want. However I will warn you that I have had a red sports car before, its dangerous, but it also gets looks!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:44 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Sorry I usually use short hand user names to refer to people, thats why I called you Wood sorry if it offended you.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

On a somewhat related note .. I had a guy come up to me and offer to by my car, in fact he offered a few times as he saw me tinkering in the driveway. I eventually spent an hour with him showing him what to look for in a used Porsche, what things to look at even before the PPI so he can have an idea of if it is worth spending a PPI on . ( Basically Petes post at the top of our forum ) . I then told him that the PPI WILL TURN UP STUFF. Then it is up to you to negotiate with the seller. This is perfectly normal and no one should either be offended or defensive. I think the power of forums like this come into play AFTER the PPI. Someone like Bob can take his list of PPi issues and come here and get the questions answered. Just as Oshin has stated , some stuff is normal and not major ,others are pitfalls to look out for. The experience on this board can tell you the difference.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Thank you Iceman I knew people would understand. My issues are not pitfall and as long as I am willing to reimburse for all the costs in full as well as do a brake job and front end alignment I think it is a fair deal. Most people would only offer to pay a portion of the costs. When I bought the car the seller didnt offer to pay the costs in full, he gave me only 65% or so.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

now if he had said " I couldn't seam to get the car into second gear .. there was a strange rattling sound underneath the valve covers ... and it was running really rough due to a big crack in some plastic manifold .. then we'd be talkin .......

have a good one guys
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, keep the faith. I live in the NW, aka The Land Of No Decent 911's For Sale. Before I eventually bought the car I have, I did PPI's on an '88 Carrera in Denver, and an '86 and '87 in the Bay Area. Each one failed worse than the one before for reasons I consider to be show-stoppers: bad leakdown results and undisclosed collision damage. I was frustrated and ready to throw in the towel. I took one more look on Autotrader, saw this C4 at a Porsche dealer in Chicago, got on the phone thinking, "this is a waste of time" - and two hours later, I owned it. No PPI, nothing. It was a two-owner car with a FSH, I had the salesman walk around it with a paint checker while I talked to him on the phone, and I decided to buy it. I shipped it out 2000 miles and it was exactly what they said it was. It's been a great car. I violated every rule in the book, and I would never try that again. But if I hadn't, that car would have been gone the next day. I paid $23K for a 58K mi. car. Guess what I'm trying to say is, keep at it, the right one may show up when you least expect it.

ps: My car is red and I like it, but it was really about my last choice in color. I think that Granite Green is quite classy-looking. The myriad of colors is another one of the great things about these cars.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Bob, keep the faith. I live in the NW, aka The Land Of No Decent 911's For Sale. Before I eventually bought the car I have, I did PPI's on an '88 Carrera in Denver, and an '86 and '87 in the Bay Area. Each one failed worse than the one before for reasons I consider to be show-stoppers: bad leakdown results and undisclosed collision damage. I was frustrated and ready to throw in the towel. I took one more look on Autotrader, saw this C4 at a Porsche dealer in Chicago, got on the phone thinking, "this is a waste of time" - and two hours later, I owned it. No PPI, nothing. It was a two-owner car with a FSH, I had the salesman walk around it with a paint checker while I talked to him on the phone, and I decided to buy it. I shipped it out 2000 miles and it was exactly what they said it was. It's been a great car. I violated every rule in the book, and I would never try that again. But if I hadn't, that car would have been gone the next day. I paid $23K for a 58K mi. car. Guess what I'm trying to say is, keep at it, the right one may show up when you least expect it.

ps: My car is red and I like it, but it was really about my last choice in color. I think that Granite Green is quite classy-looking. The myriad of colors is another one of the great things about these cars.

Yea when I bought the car it was actually the 5th car I had looked at but the first one I had a PPI done on. None of the repairs on it are show-stoppers, in fact they aren't even major repairs. When 3 different repairs only total to about 1600-1700 in cost, thats nothing major. And yes I love the color too, its very classy and I have been able to take the car to some very high class events, something I could never do with a grand prix white or guards red car, althought those colors are very nice too!

Quick Reply: Recommendation for a PPI in Glendale, CA