Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

79 to 83 engine swap & viceversa

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 to 83 engine swap & viceversa

I tried some searching and came up dry. Please point me to a reference for this, if it exists. I have all of the books, etc.

Question (for my search for racing spares for my 83sc):
Excluding emissions, other than O2 sensor, what changes would need to be made to swap a 79sc motor/trans into an 83sc and viceversa? Both would be USA cars. I envision disconnecting the oil/fuel lines, axles and shifter for both, moving one over to the other and hooking oil/fuel lines, axles and shifter back up. Possible, or are the trans, fuel injection and ignition systems too different?

Thanks,
David
Old 04-05-2007, 02:19 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

I moved a 78 Euro into a US 83 roller without any issues. Mine did have an MSD iginition instead of the stock box, so I wired that manually.

I don't recall any differences in the wiring harness diagrams. But you can check the bentley book to be sure.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:31 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 185 Posts

The late SC will have an internal voltage regulator, where the early car has an external unit. It should not be an issue...and that is the only thing I can think of off hand.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 AM
dsmith
Racer

well, i can't yet find if the wiring harness is different. Anyone? isn't the volt reg on the side of the engine bay? i would have to guess it's not as easy as i would hope, but you never know.
thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Forgot about the voltage regulator, mine had been upgraded on the earlier engine when rebuilt.

David, do you have a bently book? The diagrams for the harnesses are in the back.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:59 PM
dsmith
Racer

yes, i have the bentley manual. always the first thing i buy for a car, if they make one. i looked at it, briefly, but didn't see that it separated the years for the harness. i got busy, so i have to wait to look further. i was also thinking that i could just swap below the engine cover, taking car of alt and CIS differences, but not sure about the thermo switch, etc, attached to the motor.

Probably need Pete or Steve to chime in for the black and whites on this one. basically, i have a lead on a 79sc that is a complete, known history, good driver with cosmetic issues. i want to know the interchangability of the drivetrain.
Thanks,
David
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM
e911
Instructor

David,

I swaped a 83 eeuro for a 78. if I remember I also swap the CDI. Had no wiring issues, but it is a euro no brain ( engine and me) or O2 sensor ...

Quick Reply: 79 to 83 engine swap & viceversa