Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Excellence/ rennlist - ponderings

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Hey I agree .. internet "lore" can be dangerous .. but with guys like Pete and Steve around, I feel pretty comfortable.

Did the Excellence guys echo what we have discussed here or did you get a new outlook ?

just wonderin'

ice

PS what took you so long I expected this post about 10 seconds after i posted !!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Brad: You have one of the cool 928s! I sure wouldn't want a USA '85 32-valve, if the timing belt breaks on one of those you have to take the engine out of the car to get the heads off (Porsche switched to head bolts, from studs, in '86). Your car doesn't have an interference engine, so it doesn't even matter if the T-belt breaks. I would love to have an original, low mileage '84, now that would be a find.
Pete
True about the consequences, but most of us with 32v engines are VERY on top of the whole T-belt/tensioner deal. I bought my '91 last year with 36,000 miles on the odo. The T-belt had been changed at 32,000 3 years prior, but the paperwork did not specifically state the water pump had been replaced. So, guess what? I changed it all out, just to be safe.

Now, while on the subject of interference motors....I just pulled my 3.2L out of the 911. Going from 3rd to 2nd at the track and revving to 8K (give or take) creates an interference motor out of a stock 3.2L. I'm going to rebuild and include ARP rod bolts and EBS racing valve springs and a Rennshift setup to hopefully avoid this in the future.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Loaded
Yup I had the S4 and drove constantly waiting for the big Kaboom Even when the tb/wp was less then a year old it still kaboomed because of a rebuilt 928 intl. wp

The older 928 had it better but less HP.

SOrry But I will always think the 928 was cursed with old age problems..........but lets leave that arguement for some other time. I dont Need Ed hughes or anybody else bashing me and my opinions on the 928.........Proof is in the pudding and the 928 is no longer yet the 911 still thrives..........

PS

I love 928's period they are the sexiest vehicle ever made. Who ever designed the 928s body musta had one hella sexy woman as a girl friend
Loaded, I'm not trying to bash you. I just don't think the waterpumper was the car for you, let's leave it at that. You're happy with the 911, so you've found your niche.

BTW, the 928 is coming back, so we'll see how it goes. I think there were a number of factors that killed it before, not the least of which was Porsche's financial health and the world economic conditions at the time.

The 911 has been with us for over 40 years, but we know it has seen drastic change thru it's life.

Me, I'm tickled to death to have one of each. But, guess which one is the maintenance nightmare right now? An "economical" rebuild at $4300....if I need pistons and cylinders, or decide to get a little crazier, it gets closer to $9000.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2007, 10:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey Ed come on play nice ... does as you preach

This is not maintanance .. you missed a shift ..

But seriously, this could be a good oportunity for some upgrades no ?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Hey Ed come on play nice ... does as you preach

This is not maintanance .. you missed a shift ..

But seriously, this could be a good oportunity for some upgrades no ?
It is an opportunity, and she's getting some more HP.

I'm playing nice here, the point I'm trying to make is that all of these cars can have weak points, and they can all be expensive when the worst occurs. There are at least 5 or 5 PCA club racers locally that have done the same thing in the last few months in 911's. It's been a semi epidemic in N. Texas lately. Do a search on bent valves, and it's mind boggling how many people have BTDT.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More pics of your exhaust too Ed. We could really educate some of the fellas here with pics of a Muffler/

BTW I know Ed Your a good guy and damn the 928 thing We love porsches.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I know a guy who missed shift a little while back while hammering on to the highway in 944S.. bent 16 valves....
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

I was having a conversation with my father (mechanic with decades of exp on Porsches) and we were talking about the new Audi's and VW's. He commented that they were such a pain in the *** to work on, so many gizmo's and 'stupid stuff'. He thought they were just unbearable to work on.

I stared at the phone and said "Dad, do you realize you said the same thing about 928's 20 years ago?" He laughed and said, "you are right, finally the rest of the world caught up to what Porsche did back in the late '70's and 80's on the 928" They were so new and 'complicated back then, the rep has stayed with them.

Why am I sharing this? I dunno.

I puchased my S4 for the challenge of working on it. I have a thing for high maint 19 year olds and love almost every minute of it.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I have a thing for high maint 19 year olds
Then boy do I have the girl for you ..
Old 04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
Haha, we have an '85 928 in the shop right now! It needed a T-belt, major service, and the intake manifold gaskets were leaking . . . . so of course that means taking off the intake and every !#@$%# brittle hose and wire and piece of plastic breaking, and waiting for a month for the replacement parts to come from Germany, since the '85 USA car was a 1-year-only car (as if more "common" 928s weren't already hard enough to get parts for!!!)! Oh yeah and the guy wanted the valve covers and the intake powdercoated, the valve covers are enough of a bitch to get on and off themselves, let alone the heads!

Pete, I appreciate your insight on the 944s when they were brand new and how they came to be the way they are (we generally do the water pump every time we do a timing belt!). They came out the year I was born, so I only have my recent experience w/ them to go by! BTW Joe still has his 951 and Henry used to have one and they both love em, and despite the fact that they like 911s a bit more like I do, they like 944s too much to be as blunt about them as you are! I still love em though, but I do see the inherent strength of the 911 concept even more.

I am enjoying this discussion of the "other" Porsches from the perspective of 911 guys, keep it coming!

---Chris A.
Chris just out of curiousity do you work for Schienders autohaus? my 1990 944S2 was serviced there from 1993 to 2001 when the PO bought it brought it to WA where I bought it from him in 2004. Its a fantasic car!

Brandon J
Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer
Chris just out of curiousity do you work for Schienders autohaus? my 1990 944S2 was serviced there from 1993 to 2001 when the PO bought it brought it to WA where I bought it from him in 2004. Its a fantasic car!

Brandon J
Yup! Glad to hear you enjoy your car. We only work on a few S2s these days, wish there were more! Great cars.

---Chris A.

Quick Reply: Excellence/ rennlist - ponderings