Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Excellence/ rennlist - ponderings

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even further back on track, I liked the 910 Buyer's Guide in the April Excellence... gotta put it on my "to be considered" list...
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Brad W
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Brad: You have one of the cool 928s! I sure wouldn't want a USA '85 32-valve, if the timing belt breaks on one of those you have to take the engine out of the car to get the heads off (Porsche switched to head bolts, from studs, in '86). Your car doesn't have an interference engine, so it doesn't even matter if the T-belt breaks. I would love to have an original, low mileage '84, now that would be a find.
Pete
Pete, I know. I don't have the TB issue that my S4 brothers have. When ever they are talking about the TB pucker factor I smile and say that is not a problem on the OB's. My wife keeps trying to talk me into an S4 but I like the simpile 16 valve motor. and not bad on performace either. I just bought another 82 with a 5 speed and the comp pkg so I have my work cut out for me.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brad W
Pete, I know. I don't have the TB issue that my S4 brothers have. When ever they are talking about the TB pucker factor I smile and say that is not a problem on the OB's. My wife keeps trying to talk me into an S4 but I like the simpile 16 valve motor. and not bad on performace either. I just bought another 82 with a 5 speed and the comp pkg so I have my work cut out for me.
Yup I had the S4 and drove constantly waiting for the big Kaboom Even when the tb/wp was less then a year old it still kaboomed because of a rebuilt 928 intl. wp

The older 928 had it better but less HP.

SOrry But I will always think the 928 was cursed with old age problems..........but lets leave that arguement for some other time. I dont Need Ed hughes or anybody else bashing me and my opinions on the 928.........Proof is in the pudding and the 928 is no longer yet the 911 still thrives..........

PS

I love 928's period they are the sexiest vehicle ever made. Who ever designed the 928s body musta had one hella sexy woman as a girl friend
Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Brad: You have one of the cool 928s! I sure wouldn't want a USA '85 32-valve, if the timing belt breaks on one of those you have to take the engine out of the car to get the heads off (Porsche switched to head bolts, from studs, in '86). Your car doesn't have an interference engine, so it doesn't even matter if the T-belt breaks. I would love to have an original, low mileage '84, now that would be a find.
Pete
Haha, we have an '85 928 in the shop right now! It needed a T-belt, major service, and the intake manifold gaskets were leaking . . . . so of course that means taking off the intake and every !#@$%# brittle hose and wire and piece of plastic breaking, and waiting for a month for the replacement parts to come from Germany, since the '85 USA car was a 1-year-only car (as if more "common" 928s weren't already hard enough to get parts for!!!)! Oh yeah and the guy wanted the valve covers and the intake powdercoated, the valve covers are enough of a bitch to get on and off themselves, let alone the heads!

Pete, I appreciate your insight on the 944s when they were brand new and how they came to be the way they are (we generally do the water pump every time we do a timing belt!). They came out the year I was born, so I only have my recent experience w/ them to go by! BTW Joe still has his 951 and Henry used to have one and they both love em, and despite the fact that they like 911s a bit more like I do, they like 944s too much to be as blunt about them as you are! I still love em though, but I do see the inherent strength of the 911 concept even more.

I am enjoying this discussion of the "other" Porsches from the perspective of 911 guys, keep it coming!

---Chris A.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
Haha, we have an '85 928 in the shop right now! It needed a T-belt, major service, and the intake manifold gaskets were leaking . . . . so of course that means taking off the intake and every !#@$%# brittle hose and wire and piece of plastic breaking, and waiting for a month for the replacement parts to come from Germany, since the '85 USA car was a 1-year-only car (as if more "common" 928s weren't already hard enough to get parts for!!!)! Oh yeah and the guy wanted the valve covers and the intake powdercoated, the valve covers are enough of a bitch to get on and off themselves, let alone the heads!

Pete, I appreciate your insight on the 944s when they were brand new and how they came to be the way they are (we generally do the water pump every time we do a timing belt!). They came out the year I was born, so I only have my recent experience w/ them to go by! BTW Joe still has his 951 and Henry used to have one and they both love em, and despite the fact that they like 911s a bit more like I do, they like 944s too much to be as blunt about them as you are! I still love em though, but I do see the inherent strength of the 911 concept even more.

I am enjoying this discussion of the "other" Porsches from the perspective of 911 guys, keep it coming!

---Chris A.
Chris please dont diss the 928 you too will also be threatened and brow beaten in to submission by the loyal 928 owners on this board..........YOUR POV is not welcome unless you offer your first born to the 928 gods and im certain to the 944 gods.............so you better run along now before Ed and the others get wind of your opinion
Old 04-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Loaded
Chris please dont diss the 928 you too will also be threatened and brow beaten in to submission by the loyal 928 owners on this board..........YOUR POV is not welcome unless you offer your first born to the 928 gods and im certain to the 944 gods.............so you better run along now before Ed and the others get wind of your opinion
LOL! I actually like 928s, they are cool and unique cars. I just don't like working on em that much, we get stuck for parts pretty much every time one is in the shop, and we have a pretty extensive inventory too! But I would love to build one up someday, 5 spd of course, punch it out to say 6+ liters and put on sidepipes, a German muscle car!

---Chris A.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:38 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
I went from a 944S to 911SC andhave been amazed at how little I have had to do.
Ice,

I can't believe you just said that.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Fausto, if you have ever read any of my stuff on the 928 forum, you will realize that I caution newbies about the pitfalls of 928 ownership. I don't think Porsche had a lot of experience W/ waterpumps OR timing belts when they made the 944 or the 928, and they are not the simple child of the 60s that the 911 is. I tell people that they are not for everyone. I just don't say they are bad cars. I have been really blunt about the weak points, but nobody seems to take issue with that.

I've had bad ones, and one really good one. It's funny, but I sold the super one, and kept the most troublesome one. After 5 years, it is turning into a great driver. My euro SC OTOH, has been a super car out of the box. Then again, I made sure I got a good one. Imagine If you had gotten one, missed a shift, and when you had the tranny out discovered that you needed a couple of head studs, only to find out that your service tech was indifferent about quality. That would certainly give you a different perspective on 911s. It wouldn't change the basic qualities of the car, just your experience of it. Unfortunately for 928 owners, it is a lot easier to buy a poorly serviced or maintained shark, and there are less techs out there who love them. PPI, PPI, PPI.

And yet we still see a lot of cars being bought very casually. And sold under a cloud.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris: Some of my perspective comes from having to estimate jobs on 944s when the owner was already having trouble keeping up. I had some really long faces in my shop, and it was kind of sad. A lot of people who bought 944s, especially the less expensive early ones, thought that they were buying a true 100,000 mile car, and it just didn't happen that way. I've owned three, an '83, an '84 and an '86, and drove them a total of about 40 - 50K miles. I sat perfect in the cars, better than a 3-series BMW, and I'm 6'3", 215. Aside from the sunroof and engine maintenance I really couldn't remember anything to complain about, and if you don't mind diving into all of the stuff at the front of the engine periodically I sure don't think that anything is wrong with that. Regarding working on 928s, that is definitely for you young guys! If I spent a half hour leaning across one of those front fenders I wouldn't be able to stand up straight for days! We took care of a number of '82-84 928s that nothing ever went wrong with, maybe a seat switch or something like that. Also, 928 owners generally didn't seem to be bothered by service/repair costs, and we stuck by the factory schedule on them. Until we had an S4 break a timing belt a few weeks before the major was due that called for the first T-belt replacement (I think back then it was at 45K miles). Ouch! The doctor was hustling along an on ramp when it failed, I've never seen valves bent worse. But get this, we told the insurance company (the good doc had an extended policy that covered the job) that the pistons were kissed hard enough that we should at least inspect the bottom end. Nope, they said, do the heads and put it together. Guess what? 1800 miles later that car lost a rod bearing, and the insurance company had to pay us to do the whole thing anyway! The calm adjuster shrugged and said it was a good gamble. Sheeesh...
Pete
Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris: Some of my perspective comes from having to estimate jobs on 944s when the owner was already having trouble keeping up. I had some really long faces in my shop, and it was kind of sad. A lot of people who bought 944s, especially the less expensive early ones, thought that they were buying a true 100,000 mile car, and it just didn't happen that way. I've owned three, an '83, an '84 and an '86, and drove them a total of about 40 - 50K miles. I sat perfect in the cars, better than a 3-series BMW, and I'm 6'3", 215. Aside from the sunroof and engine maintenance I really couldn't remember anything to complain about, and if you don't mind diving into all of the stuff at the front of the engine periodically I sure don't think that anything is wrong with that. Regarding working on 928s, that is definitely for you young guys! If I spent a half hour leaning across one of those front fenders I wouldn't be able to stand up straight for days! We took care of a number of '82-84 928s that nothing ever went wrong with, maybe a seat switch or something like that. Also, 928 owners generally didn't seem to be bothered by service/repair costs, and we stuck by the factory schedule on them. Until we had an S4 break a timing belt a few weeks before the major was due that called for the first T-belt replacement (I think back then it was at 45K miles). Ouch! The doctor was hustling along an on ramp when it failed, I've never seen valves bent worse. But get this, we told the insurance company (the good doc had an extended policy that covered the job) that the pistons were kissed hard enough that we should at least inspect the bottom end. Nope, they said, do the heads and put it together. Guess what? 1800 miles later that car lost a rod bearing, and the insurance company had to pay us to do the whole thing anyway! The calm adjuster shrugged and said it was a good gamble. Sheeesh...
Pete

Stories like that scare the PEEE out me. Risk Vs reward. The good Doc was lucky.

I love 928s seems nobody ever hears me say this. Just not for me. Even one in prestine condition couldnt get my attention for very long.......

hear that ? tic tic tic one POS timing belt One bad rebuild of a water pump and th engine is a gonner. then you looking at a huge bill.

I lucked out my wp Kaboom.

I was just scared of it..........

heck I delivered it to the rennlist member who purchased it in 100% working condition all updated tuned etc.

with in one week the PS pump fails........yikes man

Like I said I love the 928 its not for me.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jay H: Hold onto your hat, is it starting to happen? In reference to your $12K car comment in an earlier post to this thread I must mention that so far this year SCM magazine has posted the auction sale of a few Porsches, among them a condition #3 '83 SC Cab w/128,000 miles at $23,000, and an SC Targa (I can't remember the details but it was no garage queen show car) at over $18K! I realize that each car could have been an aberration, but wow! Throw in your average 10% buyers premium and a lot of money changed hands. Is it starting to happen? I wish I knew...
Pete
Old 04-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love to hear about those prices going up
Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Actually James i was wondering when someone would pick up on that ..

it should have been more like :

I went from a 944S to 911SC and have been amazed at how little I have "HAD" to do

that make more sense?
Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

True, but it's fun to work on these old cars huh?
Old 04-06-2007, 06:41 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
It is amazing that guys will write into a magazine to ask a question and not know about this great resource called rennlist. I mean it gets mentioned enough in the mag. A guy in the tech area asked how to remove the clock out of the dash and another " brother" from Canada asked about the reduction of Zn and P in oils., both of these seam to come up weekly for us ...

oh and the 968 got beat out AGAIN in a head to head .... I bet the boys on the 968 forum aren't too pleased..

ice

Well, when you ask a question here you may get 100 different answers from everyone from a guy who can barely change his own oil, to maybe someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Then you have the endless rumor mill (eg oil discussions). And then who do you decide to believe? When writing in to Excellence at least you will be asking someone who knows, or someone who know who to ask that does know.

The internet is nice...but I've seen as much bad information posted here on Rennlist as I have good.

Quick Reply: Excellence/ rennlist - ponderings