Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need 73 Carrera RS tires....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

FYI, Pirelli have introduced a new street legal vintage rally tire called the 7P corsa classic. Street legal and available in 15s and 16s, but unfortunately the smallest is a 235 (or 225, depending on how they count). Good for RSRs, not RS. So not much help...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
leslie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
leslie, I'm in the same boat. In your option 1, you should be able to find Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS and G019. All season, but that's about all there is anymore in high performance street tires in 15".

I was thinking of going to 205/50-15 in the front and 235/50-15 in the rear, just so I could get some Toyo Proxes R888 for the track, even though they will be slightly undersize. What did you not like about your TR-1s?
Thanks for the heads up on the re960 and g019s. I guess the best place to look for them would be tirerack? Anywhere else to look? Apologies for the simple question but I usually buy my tires here in Singapore.

On the Toyo Proxes TR1s, they were actually great. But there are 2 issues. I felt the car did not sit correctly (too squat) and these tires had too much grip. For street driving, the rear was just very planted and a little dull. I don't want to drive any more aggressively on the street so I figure going to thinner n taller tires would make the car look more period correct n make the car more entertaining for street driving... Makes sense?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leslie
Thanks for the heads up on the re960 and g019s. I guess the best place to look for them would be tirerack? Anywhere else to look? Apologies for the simple question but I usually buy my tires here in Singapore.

On the Toyo Proxes TR1s, they were actually great. But there are 2 issues. I felt the car did not sit correctly (too squat) and these tires had too much grip. For street driving, the rear was just very planted and a little dull. I don't want to drive any more aggressively on the street so I figure going to thinner n taller tires would make the car look more period correct n make the car more entertaining for street driving... Makes sense?
10/4 on Tirerack for the Bridgestones, unless you have Firestone/Bridgestone dealership nearby.

Thanks for the info on the TR1s. I am in the process of slowly, mildly converting my Targa to a DE/track car. I just finished the brakes and put in new Bilsteins, and as a consequence it is sitting pretty high. I know I will need to adjust the suspension height at some point, but I also need some good trackable and preferably street legal tires. I don't know which will look and work better: the taller Bridgestones or the squatter Toyos.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
leslie
Instructor

I took my car onto the track just once in the toyos. Plenty of grip and progressive too at the limit. But the driver(me) couldn't bear to torture the car anymore and also couldn't bear the heat (it is 31-34 degrees celcius in the shade here all year round). So my feedback to you regarding track use is limited at best!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 AM
leslie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petevb
FYI, Pirelli have introduced a new street legal vintage rally tire called the 7P corsa classic. Street legal and available in 15s and 16s, but unfortunately the smallest is a 235 (or 225, depending on how they count). Good for RSRs, not RS. So not much help...
Thanks petevb! I suppose this answers my question on all these vintage tires sold at websites like longstone tires in the UK. I.e. These vintage tires are actually reruns of old models by the tire companies and not 20-40 year old tires!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
leslie
Instructor

Has anyone had experience with Avon CR6ZZ tires?
I can get 2012 manufactured ones in 185/70x15 and 215/60x15 from longstone in the UK.

Here is a link to the tire's webpage:

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-l...formance/cr6zz

Here is the description from the longstone website:

Avon produce a range of road legal race tyres called the Avon CR6ZZ in several sizes which are suited to many of the faster classic cars like the classic AC Cobra and fantastic Ford GT40, the Avon CR6ZZ classic tyre is ideally suited for the classic car enthusiast who may want to drive his or her classic to and from the circuit be it on a track day or a race.

Opinions?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Hi Leslie,

With so many tires no longer available I feel the Avon's are now clearly the best (only?) choice for 7 and 8x15" wheels in the sizes you mention.

Quite a few guys on the DDK forum run them on their cars.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
leslie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Hi Leslie,

With so many tires no longer available I feel the Avon's are now clearly the best (only?) choice for 7 and 8x15" wheels in the sizes you mention.

Quite a few guys on the DDK forum run them on their cars.
To close on my tire search , I ended up having 2 choices.

1 Avon at approx. Usd 1500

2. Falken ziex zx912 h rated at usd 300.

Given how the car is almost never going to see the track, I chose the falkens. So far, great!

Note that the avons needed to be shipped to me here in Singapore. Thus inflating the costs..
Old 04-07-2013, 05:36 AM
CBG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also run the 185/70-15 & 215/60-15 Avon CR6ZZ on 7 & 8x15 on my '73 RS replica. After they upgraded the 185/70s to V-rating for 2013 my choice was clear.

The car handles very well, tires do not need that much warm up time and the steering precision astonishingly doesn't suffer from the high sidewall on the front even compared to series 50 tires I have driven before.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I like seeing the green accents, for a change.

Quick Reply: Need 73 Carrera RS tires....