Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Windows fogging up really bad in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows fogging up really bad in the rain

And its not from my heavy breathing when I am driving too fast for conditions. As you can see from my avatar, I have a Targa. If I drive in the rain, the car fogs up really, really bad.

I know I need to make sure that it is completely sealed up and not getting wet inside, but what can I do in the meantime (as in between now and me finding the leaks and sealing them) if anything? I tried the RainX FogX solution, which I hated. A guy I know was saying that he has something that kind of draws in the condensation in your car. He said that it fills up after awhile and he just empties it. He was saying that alleviated his fog issue in an older pickup truck he had. Let me know what you guys think!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Turn on the a/c and open the outside vents. it will dry out the air in the car and the fog will clear.

douglas

'88 911 cab ven blue met
Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

You may have water getting into your heat exchangers (back by the exhaust), so that the heater is blowing in wet air.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 PM
zorro1car
Instructor

Jeremy, I think you or friend are referring to "DampRid".....I have used it in the garage to obsorb moisture....it works. You pour the cystals in a plasitc contaniner and it will fill with water. The website is www.damprid.com
On my Targa, I run the A/C and sometimes I open the fresh air, but usually the A/C is sufficient.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Sometime you have to turn the heat on full blast, along with the fresh air on full blast, along with the defroster. But Jack might be right, because you shouldn't be having that much moisture coming in. I would also check that your fresh air screen is not broken, since the screen is what lets only air through.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:30 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a good point on the ac / no ac issue: even a semi-functional ac can help in foggy conditions. weight vs visibilty, I suppose...
Old 03-24-2007, 01:26 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A/C will only help if the Rh of the incoming fresh air is high enough, otherwise it will actually be a hindrance, bringing the system airflow closer to its dewpoint, more "willing" for the moisture to condense on a cold windshield.

The best solution I have found is to lower the windows just slightly, put ALL of the HOT airflow toward the defrost/defog/demist ducts and use the HIGHEST blower speed.

Once the condensation evaporates from the windshield leave it there until the interior windshield surface is heated well above dewpoint and then gradually reduce the blower speed to a less discomforting level.

This can be extremely discomforting but not as much so as 6' feet under.

If you have A/C its best use is with the blower speed at minimum.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

In the race car we always kept a squeegee on a piece of broom handle where the drivers could easily get it and wipe the windshield clean. When you're all strapped in you can't lean up enough (at all) in order to swipe with the back of your glove or a rag. We had a fresh air blower to defog the windshield, but in a Sebring rain in the early evening when it was getting cool it couldn't keep up.

We also wiped the inside of the windows with Dawn dishwashing detergent. It seemed to really help in that situation, but it had to be Dawn, some of the other brands wouldn't work that well. Rain-X and Fog-x didn't seem to work well at all.

I wouldn't think Damprid could pull enough moisture out of the air of a moving vehicle fast enough to make a difference about condensation on the windows, but I've never tried it either.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I find that sometimes going thru puddles allows water to hit the exhaust, steam and enter the air ducts thru the two dampers that allow the air mixing at the rear. It's another one of those "what were they thinking?" deals.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:56 PM
zorro1car
Instructor

SRF506, you are right, DampRid is not intended to handle immediate window fogging. It will reduce moisture in the vechicle over a period of time....it is better suited for cars being stored or not driven regularly....

Quick Reply: Windows fogging up really bad in the rain