Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C Worth Installing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:50 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Worth Installing?

My car came with the compressor and the front condenser removed. My original plan was to install them and update the system to R-134.

However, hearing how the A/C is basically useless, another part of me just wants to leave it removed and actually remove the rest of the A/C related pieces.

What are your thoughts for those who have A/C.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

I have factory A/C.. wasnt working when I bought the car.. after asking around here I basically came to the conclusion that after spending 2-3K to get it back working/conversion that it wouldnt cool wortha crap in the FL heat and I'd be spening more money to keep it operating.. so, it sits..non-working..
Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Naitove
Instructor

I removed all of mine from my 81 SC. Runs cooler in traffic & is lighter. If you're not going the whole 9 yards to update everything & spend a bundle, I'd remove the rest. PS I live in NY Metro area too.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt: I know how to fix my A/C, live in a brutally hot, but not humid, area, and I'm within driving distance of Performance Aire - and I removed the A/C from my '82 SC. I fully appreciate those on this forum that have spent the big bucks, sometimes thousands, to get their A/C to a point where it's acceptable, but I have seen so much disappointment, as a general rule, because of additional expense that I didn't want the hassle. At the shop the first "fix" would be to install new barrier hoses (all), replace the rec/dryer, check the front condenser blower, and replace the evaporator housing fan (they usually develop an annoying screech/squeal when used regularly). We then evacuated and recharged the system, hoping that the compressor was still OK, which it was 80% of the time. On the 20% we had to pull the R-12 back out, replace the compressor, and do the evac & charge again. At this point a leak in the front condenser might become apparent, the expansion valve might have a problem, etc., so those items have now pushed the repair past $2K (past $2500 with a compressor). When the system finally "worked," it was sufficient for 80 degree days near the beach, but in the San Fernando Valley, where it is often over 100 in summer, forget it. Only extra condensers/fans will make the system more efficient, but it still won't flow enough air to keep you comfortable when it's 100 + outside. It's a really difficult decision, but if you have a willing and experienced technician to help with the work, and you don't mind the expense, it might be good enough for you, in your area.
Pete
Old 03-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Naitove
Instructor

Like I said :-)

(Yonkers aint that hot in the summer)
Old 03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Naitove
Like I said :-)

(Yonkers aint that hot in the summer)
Don't forget last summer! It was pretty bad in my 944 with non functioning A/C.

The truth is I pretty much only use the car on the weekends. It's not a daily commuter. And mostly for autox. So it's not worth a big expense to get the A/C working. I'd rather spend the money on my suspension upgrade project I have planned for the summer.

And hey...it's a targa!!!! Take the top off right?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by arbeitm
My car came with the compressor and the front condenser removed. My original plan was to install them and update the system to R-134.

However, hearing how the A/C is basically useless, another part of me just wants to leave it removed and actually remove the rest of the A/C related pieces.

What are your thoughts for those who have A/C.

Your signature line tells all. You have a 1983 911SC. If you had something like a 1985 or later,--maybe. The real problem with the early 911 a/c is that you just don't have adequate ducting to support the air movement necessary to do any good. Sure, you can spend a fortune on fixing the compressor and replacing condensors and lines, but in the final analysis if the 'squirrel cage' isnt' big enough to do the job, forget it. That era's a/c is only adquate for someone in a friendlier environment. If you're where it gets hot for weeks at a time with humidity to match,--forget it. My 1977 was worthless, and my 1981 was almost as bad. It all comes down to the duct dimensions and capacities.

In 1985 they enlarged the central duct as well as the two side ones. If you get a chance to look at a 964 or even a 993 they're both fairly inadequate as well,--but not as bad as a pre-1985. I suffered in mid-summer Oklahoma for many years with a pre-1985 911 and the only solution was GROUND SPEED!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

spend the money you'd use on AC on a civic. I'm in louisiana and even I don't have AC, and I could spend serious $ on it
Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,096 Posts

But what about my 88 3.2? As Dan said, anything post 1985 is different. Peter, do you agree?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

All this talk about the A/C in the Carrera's being not up to the job makes me wonder if I should even bother with the A/C in my '89.

My '89 has very low miles (14,500) and all seems OK with the system but it appears to need a recharge of R12. Being that R12 is now going for $65+/lb and with the Carrera needing approx. 48 oz that means $240+ just for the freon plus labor. So what am I looking at...$350-$400 for a recaharge? Do I even bother?

My Carrera is used as a weekend toy and I do have other cars (see my sig) to drive should it get hot and humid. So leave the A/C alone or do I try a recharge?

David
Old 03-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Naitove
Instructor

Originally Posted by arbeitm
Don't forget last summer! It was pretty bad in my 944 with non functioning A/C.

The truth is I pretty much only use the car on the weekends. It's not a daily commuter. And mostly for autox. So it's not worth a big expense to get the A/C working. I'd rather spend the money on my suspension upgrade project I have planned for the summer.

And hey...it's a targa!!!! Take the top off right?
Now you're talking!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

Default 80 Targa

I have a 80 Targa and the A/C is better than fresh air....so, I use it often in North Carolina. I did replace the compressor with a more efficient one and I use 134R. I plan to add an extra outlet under the ashtray. It also helps with fogging.....but, as stated, it is not going to cool in temps above 90 degrees.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

If you change your mind, I have some of the components you will need that I recently pulled off of my '80 SC which is now mostly a track car. I have a Sanden rotary compressor and front condensor. I also have the front fan and housing, and evaporator with new thermostat. With those installed, and a new set of barrier hoses, you would have a system that would provide enough cooling to make a 90 degree day feel like 75, IMHO. When my system had a recent charge (prior to loosing the charge through the 27 year old hoses, it did a good job. Not frigid like my old Bronco or new F150, but it did make really hot days bearable.

Don
Old 03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
bmcallister
Instructor

I have an 85 Coupe. The black paint really bakes in the sun (I live in NC). Previous owner tinted the windows and had a fair amount of work done on the AC. It works marginally.

I appreciate it because it takes the edge off of the heat but would not spend more than about $100 to get it repaired/working if it needed it.

If you are open to the idea get the windows tinted tastefully. It will be about as effective as your AC will ever be.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

David: You're the one between a rock and a hard place! Garage Queens that aren't driven a lot have different A/C problems than other cars. Seals dry out and the R12 escapes while the car sits. I used to tell my customers that to maximize the useful life of the A/C between recharges/repairs that the system had to be used a minimum of ten consecutive minutes a month, better yet three time/month. We had customers who didn't, and they were in every 6 - 12 months for recharge. R12 is, as stated, very expensive these days, and that must be considered. If your A/C hasn't funtioned properly in, say, 10 + years, all bets are off, but I would guess that only a recharge won't be enough. That said, the larger vents in the '86 and later cars give the illusion of a better system, at least you can feel the air coming from the dash! The base problem with the system was that it was designed for Germany, where temps rarely climb above 80 F. And for that it's OK, but can still be very expensive to fix. My SC is happier without it, the car runs cooler, and I have no mental picture of ice forming in the dash vent when I go for a summer drive!
Pete

Quick Reply: A/C Worth Installing?