Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

VIN Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:54 PM
dangerdean
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN Question

I am looking at a 1978 Targa for my first Porsche. And while referencing Pete's book to interpret the VIN (9118310840) I see that the engine type is 911 Japan 3.0L. Does this make it a Grey Market car? If so, what is the effect on the value?

Thanks,
Dean
Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dean: Yes, the car is grey market, but the "3", for '78, also indicates that it might be an RoW car (sorry, somehow this note ended up incomplete). To be exactly sure what the car is locate the number pictured on page 39 of my book, if it's 930/03 it's RoW, 930/04 it's USA, or 930/05 it's Japan. If it were me looking at it I would find someone to do the PPI that really knows the cars. I am not familiar with your smog requirements, but the car should at least have the DOT items taken care of. Also - be very careful regarding broken cylinder head studs!!! That car is in the head stud "danger zone...".
Pete
Old 03-18-2007, 06:50 PM
dangerdean
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pete! I am/was planning on getting a PPI. It took too long to convince the wife that buy a toy car was a good idea to end up with a basket case!

So, does anyone have an opinion of the effect this may have on the value/resale?

Thanks Again,
Dean
St Louis, MO
Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dean: Although my comments have been met with strong opposition, I have posted in the past that a large number of people, some in the employ of insurance companies, will place the value of a grey market car at approximately 50% of a USA car in like condition, which I found through personal exposure to the market to be fairly accurate on average. "carsthatmatter.com" does not bother to get involved with them, but Sports Car Market Magazine and others agree with the 50% opinion. The reasons are many, but at the head of the pack are (1) shoddy (messy, incomplete, incompetent) conversion work, (2) poor quality conversion parts (lamp housings, catalytic converters, etc.), (3) it's virtually impossible to track authentic mileage, service/repair work, owners, etc. In most cases, just too many miles of lost history has gone by. However, there are exceptions to every rule, and if you can get Haggerty, LelandWest, or another company to write the car at agreed value as a pleasure car, and the PPI tells you that you found a jewel that's been converted properly, well, you might want to consider aggressive negotiation. I want you to consider something else. Over the years my shop had to replace broken valve springs on a number of SCs, and it didn't take long for us to realize that almost all were in the first 1,000 production number cars of '78. "Your" car fits into this VIN group. Is this car currently registered in MO? Has the current owner had the car for a very long time? Are certification docs (EPA & DOT) available for the car? The EPA stuff might not apply in your state, especially for a car that's been there for almost 30 years, but a call to your local DMV would not hurt.
Pete

Quick Reply: VIN Question