Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

"Floaty" front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:39 PM
gunlover05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Floaty" front suspension

I'm pretty sure my 85 carrera has the stock suspension....seems a bit "floaty" at mid-range speeds if you know what I mean....any suggestions on what it could be? There doesn't seem to be much play @ the tie rods, although the boots are cut. has bilstiens struts, not sure when shocks were replaced.

yes, i am thinking of a "suspension refresh" late this summer...but curious what causes a bit of "floatiness" in a 911
Old 03-17-2007, 10:12 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see your car has a whale tail. Is there a proper valence at the front? If not, that could be it. When I drove my SC to the paint shop with no front windshield last summer, the entire cockpit became like a windsock and my previous precise steering was suddenly drunk. But that was fixed when the windshield was replaced. I also have a whale tail and a front dam.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I would look at the shocks first. Suspension settings can also cause that kind of feeling.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Early911
Intermediate

22 year old bushings could also be contributing to the problem.

-Mark
Old 03-18-2007, 09:58 AM
gunlover05
Racer

yes, i have a front airdam/spoiler up front...good thought though, as i've heard that having the tail without the front spoiler can do that...

when i push down on the front bumper, it doesn't oscillate, but i am suspect of the shocks as i don't know when they were replaced...I didn't get much PO history unfortunately
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My '84 was a bit wishy washy as well when I got it last year. I too agree on shock replacement and the other suspension components should be freshened up. Also, get an alignment as well. These cars are touchy when it comes to alignments.

When I had my alignment done, my mechanic dropped the front end of my stock '84 just slightly and it made a noticeable improvement in feel.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

The alignment and corner balance is a great thought. My 81SC handling changed drastically for the better after the job was done. I don't know how else to check the front shocks other than what you did already. However, when I bought my SC last year I decided to change all 4 shocks. The rears didn't oscillate after pushing down on the rear bumper, but when I removed them one side was very bad.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

When I got my first Porsche, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I did the shocks, and it was way more controlled, and it was aligned at that time. Still not great. It felt odd on new tires, so I took it for another alignment at a sympathetic shop. WOW, what a difference ! Since then, I have had this experience with several other Porsches, and it is worth it to get it sorted early on. You will notice the difference in every driving situation.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 AM
gunlover05
Racer

i know i will be "refreshing the suspension late this year" = $$$...i put a full tank of gas and the spare back in it this weekend and it seemed less floaty....i think without the extra weight, somehow the geometry is different and maybe that is a part of the cause...

it is not too bad really, i'll just live with it until late this summer when i do the refresh and new tires, and then get a really good alignment...

Quick Reply: "Floaty" front suspension