Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
ga
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rob, I changed my bushings & coupling in my '86 carrera & it made a difference. Got the "kit" from Pelican (3 items) & followed directions from Pelicans tech area. Toughest thing to do was accessing the front bushings below the stick because you have to remove the console. Directions said to pull off the shift **** & remove the console, but I did not have the bushing to replace the ****, so it is possible to get the console up & out from between the front seats, and over into the driver side footwell, but it takes quite a bit of "fenagalling" & **##**. It is worth it. Good luck, Greg
Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Well I went for a pretty good speed-putt last night.. hafta say that the more pateint I was shifting the better it shifted ie longer pause in between 1st and second and pretty patient into third as well.. cant say I had any real issues..
Old 03-16-2007, 02:08 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Porsche newbie,
Nort's good, as is Redbone Racing near downtown Orlando, Troysport out in West Orange County off Silver Star Road, and probably the most convenient, and a good group, is Zotz off 436 in Winter Park. I'd take my car to any of these guys with pretty good confidence. I think its probably a fairly normal gearbox.

By the way, what fluid are you running in it? I'd recommend you ensure you've got Swepco in the box. Although others are good for "normal" trannys, the 915 and 930 gearboxes seem to need the extra bit of friction or grip Swepco seems to provide over the slippier stuff.

I think the "popping out of gear" is probably a case of you weren't really engaged like you surmised. When they really jump out of gear its ususally a really loud, noisy event, happening right near your butt. If it wasn't engaged it'll be more of a mild "bump."

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Nort is right down I-4 from me about 15 minutes..dont know how much stuff he actually does there tho.. I also have heard Redbones is good although I have no idea where they are near downtown..I'll look them up..

Second thing I ever did to that car was put Swepco in it.. def. dont have any loud events re: tranny..its just me not "throwing" it all the way in I beleive.. school bus throw and all .. heh..
Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I think Redbones is off Central Ave over by the O-rena (yes, I'm that old ;-) ). He does all of the work on a friend of mine's 911 Cab and he seems happy with him. I take mine to Sid Collins at Troysport. He and I worked together for Alex Job Racing in the early and mid 90's, as did a guy named "Cisco" who ran a shop off of Aloma, I believe its Jackson Street, in Winter Park called Performance Tech or something like that. I haven't seen or heard from him in a long time though so he might be retired/moved/whatever. Nort I think does his work in a building right behind his "showroom." I've never had anything done by him, but again, people I know who have seemed satisfied.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it comes out.

Quick Reply: 915 Tranny Question