Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:53 PM
bryn_p
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 911SC VIN help

Hi all,

Been reading through years of old posts and found some great info on here

I'm looking at an SC but am a bit confused by the VIN number. I believe it to be originally supplied in the US, but the VIN appears to be for a RoW car.
I looked it up on Simon's SC site but that is what confused me! Should the ZZZ be something else for a US car?

Can anyone tell me for sure... the number is WP0ZZZ912BS120XXX

Many thanks,
Bryn.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:59 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Yes the ZZZ in the vin tells me its a RoW car. there are a few other indictations aswell. One would be the car should have amber side markers on the fenders. Lower ride height. The ZZZ should be something like WPOAAO912BS120XXX.

Brandon J
Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 PM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

The VIN on my 1983 SC USA model is WPOAAO910DS122221. This is on all records, decals and the VIN plate on the winsheild pillar. However, there is a VIN stamped into the tub in the trunk under the carpet (between the gas tank and smugglers box) that begins with WPOZZZ910DS122221. I believe that the stamping on the tub will include the ZZZ for all cars, regardless of the country spec, and the country code is indicated on the VIN at all other locations on the car. Someone else may confirm or correct me on this. I was initially confused when I came accross the ZZZ in the stamping, but I have no reason to believe that my car is not a US model.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Brian,

Yes that is right The stamping on the Tub will have the ZZZ vin. The firewall on my S2 has the ZZZ as well. But the Stamp on the door the A-pillar, records etc all have my regular VIN WP0AB2940LN450294. Why Porsche did this I don't know. It can get confusing at times can't it.

Brandon J
Old 03-14-2007, 02:19 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Iss because the tub is an anywhere item. It wasn't until the build went as far as lights, emissions, motor, and bumpers is it declared a North American or/other specific country registered model.
I'e got 2 "grey market" cars, a '84 Carrera 3.2 and a '85 930. Both are excellant cars with a more aggressive stance, better fuel injection and exhaust systems and lighting than their NA versions. 90% of the rest of the car is identical to any other Porsche however.

I've never had any issue with parts. You might have an issue getting it insured and henced registered if the car isn't in the insurance carrier's database for VINs. Then it takes a couple of weeks to send it over to underwriting to get it covered. You might ask the PO who's insured it now and use the same guy.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bryn, welcome.
focus on the vin for the '81 SC 911, referred to as "B Program", the first year of Porsche using the 17 digit international standard. a US SC reads WPO (Porsche), then A, E, J (coupe, targa or turbo). a Z for the 4th digit references a ROW example. very importantly, there are 3 locations for the vin, on the chassis (stamped on the body in the trunk, above the fuel tank), on the A (windshield) pillar, & on the driver's door jamb. the trunk # does not differentiate whether a chassis will become a US or ROW variant ("ZZZ"). the "official" vin is that on the A pillar & door jamb. other than the ZZZ letters stamped on the trunk-chassis #, they should all correspond, along w/ the title (!).
so, does this car have all its vins & do they agree?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM
bryn_p
Intermediate

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great advice. I am actually viewing the car next week so will check all VIN numbers then.

As far as I know it was supplied new in Texas then lived in Italy for a while and now resides in the UK!

I tried to link to a few photos for everyone but I do not have enough posts so no can do, sorry!

Thanks again!
Bryn.

Quick Reply: 1981 911SC VIN help