Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Product idea - A Voltmeter to replace the VDO clock that doesn't work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by madmmac
They make a bunch of low priced led readout volt meters that plug into your cigarette lighter.....no mods to your car......http://www.cetsolar.com/voltmeter.htm

This is just one of many...do a search.

My radar detector has this built in with audible alerts for both too high or too low voltage, a nice little feature.
This is exactly the one that I bought and it works great. The only downside is that I think there is a resistor in that socket or the wiring itself has a high resistance, so my top voltage is only 13.9V. I measured the alternator output voltage with a meter on the battery directly and got 14.5V, so knowing this difference is not a problem for me. Additionally, when I have all 4 lights on, fresh air blower on, heaters & defrosters, my voltage drops to 11.5V, but I still know that the real voltage is closer to 12.4V, which is fine at idle.

Anyway, it works great and costs $15 shipped.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_P
Where would you wire it in? You need one tap for the light, then another for the metering....
And while we're at it, what about other gauges? When I had my 914, I always coveted the optional center console:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._pic24_big.JPG

You can never have too many gauges....
Seems we have been thinking alike Eric. I too have been thinking other gauges, but not sure what. I do not want a gauge there just to have one. I have only had my 911 since October, so what do you guys think other worthwhile gauges would be to fill the void?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Eric_P
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the dash temp gauge is for oil, how about a head temp gauge? There is also a small trans temp gauge that matches... anyone know if there is an easy sender mount for that? Sounds like overkill for those of us who don't do any track stuff, but just thought I'd throw it out there....
My only criteria is that it's a real VDO gauge, and not some goofy Autozone junk. Also, I guess I'm eliminating the chance to go to white gauge faces, if I add these small ones to the center console. Anyone know otherwise?
My father in law is here this weekend, and runs a small machine shop. I'll see what it would take to cut/bend/drill these panels. Maybe a single and a double option? I think if they were slightly undersized width-wise, some strong double sided tape would hold it all in place... straight black paint and then you cover as you like?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:23 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

What if we made it so that it would fill the entire height of the console opening> The bottom part could still be open, but the frame work would just run down the side to provide support... Then make the width slightly wider so that it provides a compression fit. I was looking at mine again tonight on the drive home from work. Is there enough room for 2 gages? The more I looked, the more I wondered. I have a factory leather shift boot and so it fills in the area a little more at the bottom face of the console. Any of this making sense?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:20 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody have any ideas for a blank that would fit the clock opening and also provide a support for a normal 2" voltmeter gauge? I'm thinking something off the shelf that looks semi-factory, fits with a few mods, etc. (jar lid, tube plug, etc.).

Thanks,
Sherwood
Old 03-08-2007, 08:49 AM
BHMSC
Instructor

Default Voltmeter to replace the worthless oil level gauge

I saw a car recently that had this conversion - by North Hollywood Speedometer
Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Naitove
Instructor

Default Like This?

Her's one from Pelican:
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2007, 10:10 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Wow, that is a nice one too...
Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Eric_P
Advanced

That's it! Perfect.....
Anyone know what they charge for that? Looks like a standard oil temp/press gauge with different modules in it. Prob not too hard to build, if you can get the modules at a decent price...
I'd MUCH rather have something like this than a separately located 2 1/16" VM...
Group buy, anyone?
Hell, I'd trade my perfectly working clock for just the parts to build one...
Old 03-09-2007, 03:58 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

I bought a VDO volt gauge and installed it in my console below the AC switches....here is a picture
Old 03-09-2007, 04:07 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

Let try this again....gee it shouldn't be this difficult to post a picture
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2007, 04:54 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought an old center console and added three gauges -- transmission temp, voltmeter, and cylinder heat temp -- along with a special slot to hold my sunglasses.

(Oddly, it's the sunglasses holder I appreciate the most. They never get broken, and I always know where they are as I'm putting on my helmet.)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

Jack....that is a great addition!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Naitove
Instructor

Default Another

Here's what I did:
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I really want to add a volt meter to my '84, so these pics of what people have done are excellent ideas for me. Thanks to all for posting what they did in their car. It helps!

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2

Quick Reply: Product idea - A Voltmeter to replace the VDO clock that doesn't work?