Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tire Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007 | 11:01 PM
roger's 2937
Instructor

Default Tire Question?

The rear tires on my '84 Carrera Coupe are nearly worn out, fronts are fine. I wanted to keep the f/r matched with Bridgestone S03's but I've heard they're discontinued and replace by RE050A Pole Positions that have an entirely different tread pattern. Will this upset the handling in normal driving?

Thanks-Roger B.
Old 03-05-2007 | 11:43 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

yes, you always want to replace tires on any car with a matched set of four. If not, handling can suffer greatly. On a Honda Accord, its not that important, but on any performance car, its pretty much mandatory. Tire technology is always improving, so with a major make like Bridgestone, your almost guaranteed a better tire with their newest model.
Old 03-06-2007 | 12:16 AM
oceanvue
Instructor

I had Continental Conti-sports all the way around and had to replace, checked that forced to replace the rears today and put Fuzions on. Took it for a spirited drive and there was no ill effects what so ever. My tire guy does alot of Porsches and I had asked him of the ill effects of non matched tires on Porsches and he concurred. Doesn't always happens but definately does and when it does you know it. He said absolutely you can't put a directional tread on the front and non-directionals on the back. I figured if I had a problem I would replace the fronts with the Fuzions since their quite a bit less money and every bit of the tire.
Old 03-06-2007 | 11:48 AM
roger's 2937
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. If I decide to get a complete set, what brand/model is a good alternative? I'm looking for quiet, handling, all weather and good treadwear life?

Thanks-Roger B.
Old 03-06-2007 | 01:22 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

You could also try posting on Pelican for these specific tires, or try Ebay. Someone might have a new set, somewhere in the United States.
Old 03-06-2007 | 01:49 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by roger's 2937
Thanks for the replies. If I decide to get a complete set, what brand/model is a good alternative? I'm looking for quiet, handling, all weather and good treadwear life?

Thanks-Roger B.
Rodger,

I typically do a lot of research on www.tirerack.com to see what tires will A) fit your car and B) perform within the parameters that you are seeking. There are many reviews from individuals and the Tire Rack seems to test almost everything they sell in somewhat of a standard method to compare like tires with like tires. It's a good resource and helps with making a decision.

Good Luck!

Jay
Old 03-07-2007 | 09:28 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

If you go over to the Wheels/Tires forum, listed in the General section, you will find Damian from the Tire Rack, and others.

Quick Reply: Tire Question?