Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pop off....cork?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Eric_P
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop off....cork?

My 79 SC has what looks like a factory pop off plug, held in loosely by the normal vacuum. Right side of airbox, about a 1" opening, barbed rubber plug. Can push it out easily, but seems airtight when running... anyone else have this? Definitely not aftermarket...
Am I off the hook for a "proper" pop off valve?

Off to John Walker's shop Tues for the tensioner upgrade and a valve adjust..
Old 03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's just a plug that was for a breather hose that's not necessary in your application. The plug prevents unfiltered air from entering the engine. It's not a pop-off valve, which is another story...
Pete
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
It's just a plug that was for a breather hose that's not necessary in your application. The plug prevents unfiltered air from entering the engine. It's not a pop-off valve, which is another story...
Pete
Peter, I have the same year car but I have a hose that goes from the hole mentioned over to the oil filler neck. Are you saying the 79SC doesn't need this hose or is there something specific to his application?

In addition, I think this is the hose that holds the backfire grid (flame arrestor). See a post I made earlier when mine was missing.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...=backfire+grid
Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Eric_P
Advanced

autobonrun,
That's the part I'm referring to. I know it's not a proper pop off valve, but the slightest positive pressure should send it right out.
I'm gonna use it as a pop off for now...
Car runs great, so I assume nothing is missing/disconnected. Unless it's smog crap, in which case, I have a special box for that.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_P
autobonrun,
That's the part I'm referring to. I know it's not a proper pop off valve, but the slightest positive pressure should send it right out.
I'm gonna use it as a pop off for now...
Car runs great, so I assume nothing is missing/disconnected. Unless it's smog crap, in which case, I have a special box for that.
The pop off valve that is often referred to is installed inside the air box to vent off overpressure in the case of a backfire. The grid I linked to serves as a flame arrestor. Is the piece you're referring to the same as in my photo? If so, it will contain a mesh screen and the pressure drop is so low across it, there won't be enough to blow it out. It fits inside a hose. Is there a connection on the side of your oil filler neck? Looks like the last guy that posted has a plug in his similar to what you're describing. I'll wait to see what Peter makes of the differences between those with the plug and those with the hose/backfire grid.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 AM
psalt
Advanced

Eric,

The plug you are looking at is neither a pop off cork or a flame arrestor, it is a remnant of CIS evolution. Porsche moved the oil tank breather after they realized it was plumbed into the wrong side of the air flow sensor. I am not sure of the production date change, but it may mean you have a replacement air box, if you are interested. It cannot function as a pop off anything because it is on the other side of the air flow sensor.

Paul

Quick Reply: Pop off....cork?