Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need help saving me from myself

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
DARISC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another consideration, if a C5 is over budget compared to a C4 - check out the difference in insurance premiums. Prior to the C5, Vettes had full width shells incorporating fenders/hood, fenders/trunk. C5s &C6s have individual fender, hood and trunk body parts which can be replaced individually, which brought the insurance premiums for collision insurance WAY down from the C4s and earlier cars where the entire front or rear "clip" would have to be replaced if the damage was more than slight, which is very costly compared to replacing just a fender.

The insurance cost differential just might make you consider a C5, even if it costs more at the outset,
Old 03-02-2007, 01:35 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Vette or any other GM product (have owned two GM's)
Get garbage can. Dump a wack of cash in same. Ignite. Enjoy quality of heat, as that is as close as you will get to anything close to quailty again. Fire out. Stand in garbage can and make driving sounds. There you go. Vette ownership.
Hmmm, I sound like I have been screwed over hard by GM....any wait I think you should get your wife in the seat of a vette and then let her figure it out herself....sorry, still bitter over GMs treatment.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

Vettes can be great cars. Lots of clubs and a large following. Before we got into the P-car scene, we had a 96, 300hp vette. Lots of fun but continually had problems. Left my wife on the side of the road more than once. That was the deciding factor in getting rid of it.

We also had a 99 C5, and still do. My son drives that one. I haven't driven it in quite some time. A few days ago I decided to take a spin in it to see how it is holding up. (I'm now accustomed to driving the M3 and 911's) The power, handling and torque are incredible. But I couldn't get over the rattles and squeaks and overall "cheapness" of the seats and interior. These things didn't bother me a few years ago - when the car was mine. But now they sure do.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Any used 'Vette" is a risk. People try to drive them like race cars, but don't maintain them because they're "just a Chevy." The new Z06 is probably the best performance car you can buy for the money. Its comfortable, fast, and handles well. I love my '85 euro 930 and will never part with it, but if I was buying a new performance car, I'd probably go get the 'Vette.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:11 AM
onlycafe
Advanced

[QUOTE=panchosouth]Vette or any other GM product (have owned two GM's)
Get garbage can. Dump a wack of cash in same. Ignite. Enjoy quality of heat, as that is as close as you will get to anything close to quailty again. Fire out. Stand in garbage can and make driving sounds. There you go. Vette ownership.
Hmmm, I sound like I have been screwed over hard by GM....any wait I think you should get your wife in the seat of a vette and then let her figure it out herself....sorry,"

if you need to ask, buy the 'vette. my father had an expression he liked to use.
"buying an education."
Old 03-04-2007, 12:01 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the earlier C4 Corvettes. I stopped liking them when they moved to square tail lamps. My ideal would probably be an '85...suspension "fixed" from the 1984 (they all rode harsh...my dad had an '84 and I literally remember smacking my head hard against the roof panel on expansion joints), and the FI motor instead of the Cross Fire Injected 1984. They do not wear well, especially when compared with Porsches, and especially the 911. (The 944s and 928s wear like crap versus the 911 IMO.) But, restored they are nice cars and represent a time in automobiles where Chevy really turned things upside down, by building a truly world class car respective of its vintage.

The Corvette Z51 beat a 911CS in a R&T test, besting it in both objective and subjective categories. They said at the end of the article that Vette fans should not get too excited about beating the Porsche, though, because the 911 was so much better built than the 911 (which is kind of where we end up in this thread).

To each his own, but I wouldn't buy that anniversary car. The white seats are tragic! Find a nice silver one or dark red one perhaps...

By the way...big tangent but....how can a black on black coupe be "triple black?" "Triple black" was the way dealers in the eighties referred to black car/black interior/black TOP convertibles. On coupes is the 3rd black the tires? The Fuchs? Would a similar 'vert then be a Quadruple black?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:24 PM
rentadate
Instructor

My uncle used to have a Vett' from the 80's and it was a PIECE OF ****!

Thing always needed something tweeked and fixed. Maybe it was his car, or the fact that he is Asian (I'm not quite sure)

But it was always in the shop or on a tow truck. My other uncle just got a new one that just came out. no problems with his, but he never really drives it. I can't get used to the seats. they suck in the terms of comfort and it is too oddly designed for my legs.

I know I'm going to catch crap for this:

I think if you want another car that goes fast like that, you are better off with a Japanese "tuner" car...better quality. Start with a Mitsubishi Evo VII or something. But IMHO, no subarus. Maybe it is because I'm from Colorado where everyone owns a sube.

I still suggest looking long and hard for another P-car. Best cars on the planet.

Quick Reply: Need help saving me from myself