Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1974 Euro Carrera

Hello All,

I own a '74 Euro Carrera and am considering (and ONLY considering) letting it go. Doesn't get driven, beautiful car, numbers matching, etc....

I am wondering if any of you have sales data either in the States or abroad that can get me started in making my decision on whether to sell and if so what I should consider as reasonable.

I know everyone likes pictures but I don't have any on this computer. I'll post a couple when I get home this evening.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
blacklotus99
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a '75 euro carrera and may have some info on this.

The research I have done suggests that the G series euro 2.7 mfi cars have approx doubled in value in the last 2.5-3 years at least in this market. The best matching number cars seem to be achieving up to $50K in the states which is pretty big money. In the UK and Australia (RHD cars) even more.

They seem to be tracking the '73 RS cars upward as prices increase percentage wise. Again RSs appear to have increased about 100-150% dependant on the car in the same time period. As the RS keeps increasing (which I think they will) the G series MFI cars will follow. I realise this is a contentious statement but prices seem to support the argument.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Hi Jeff,

A good friend of mine in Germany has sold 2 Carrera 2,7 cars recently and they were both numbers matching cars in excellent condition that sold for around 60K Euro each. He just bought a very nice '74 Carrera 2,7 from the New Orleans area but I am not sure what he paid for it.

I agree with blacklotus99 observations, these cars have really moved up in the last couple of years, tracking the rise in the price of the '73 Carreras. Do you have a white car? I think we met several years ago at Gingerman in Michigan. The market for these cars is strong in Europe so if you want me to put you in touch with my friend in Germany send me a PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

hmmm, better than money in the bank I say, black lotus is right, 70s porsches seem to be going up in value everyday here, 911Es are fetching 80K, you could get one in the mid 20s only a few years ago, as for Ss.... 74 Carreras are hot property right now!! All this is good until our next recession that is, please no more wars, we can't afford them ;(
Old 03-03-2007, 05:22 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on your purchase Black Lotus! Are you in the States? Any photos to share?

Brian, I remember meeting you at Gingerman. I think you had just found or were very close to buying your Carrera right? Racing has taken up a lot of time in the summers and storage is at a premium in Chicago so I don't really think that I am caring for the Carrera as I should be, pretty much ignored over the last couple of years. That said, my recent research has rekindled my interest so maybe I'll keep this one and sell something else...who knows. Are you planning on another Gingerman visit or possibly Putnam Park for one of the club races? I'd love to check out your car! Does this look familiar?

Old 03-04-2007, 04:01 AM
blacklotus99
Track Day

Looks good in classic white too. Turns heads in lime green!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Very nice! Okay, now I am officially missing driving my car....looks like I'll have to keep it a couple of more years.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Hi Jeff,

Yep that is the car I remember. Glad to hear you are motivated to keep and drive your Carrera more. Unless you really have to sell I think you should definitely hang on to your car for a number of reasons, the #1 being they are so fun to drive. They do look great in white, green , silver, etc.

Yeah when we met I was on the trail of the car I ended up buying as I had just sold my '96 Carrera. I would like to do some driving events this summer so if you see this car around please stop and say 'Hi'.

P.S. Blacklotus, my Carrera actually spent most of it's life in NZ (Auckland) and AU (Perth) with 2 different owners.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Beautiful Brian!

I'll be doing the pca races at Mid Ohio, Gingerman, Road America and Putnam and NASA races at Autobahn, Grattan, Iowa. Hopefully you can make one of the DE's or just come out for the weekend. Grattan is by Gingerman so not too bad a drive.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 AM
blacklotus99
Track Day

Very nice Brian!

Tangerine? What options was it ordered with? An RS with Aussie provenance gets big from me! Whats the story with it being down under for that time?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM
art
Pro

Is the second opening on the tail specific to the Euro cars?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:14 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Is the second opening on the tail specific to the Euro cars?
Good question. My tail is an original Porsche tail but it doesn't have the second opening. The original build sheet from my car did not detail a tail, so I'm guessing it was added at the time of restoration
Old 03-06-2007, 07:06 AM
blacklotus99
Track Day

There were effectively three tails available on the 2.7 MFI Carreras.

In '74 either a ducktail or the short tail (as on the silver car above).
In '75 ducktail was not a factory option so either the short or the long tail (I understand these long tails were not available in the US for pedestrian safety reasons. Something to do with the overhang I think). I have also heard the long tails were fitted to the A/C cars in Euro markets but not sure on this. Anyone with info on this?

The factory spec sheet does not specify which tail was fitted to which car. My car is not a full restoration example. Has had paint 5 years ago, other than that its original.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

74 - duck tail. 75 - tail like silver car. Green car has what appears to be a 77 Turbo tail. 76 Turbo tail is the same except second grill is smaller. Unlike the US cars, I believe on Euro 74 and 75 Carreras, flat lids were stock and the others were optional.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Originally Posted by blacklotus99
Very nice Brian!

Tangerine? What options was it ordered with? An RS with Aussie provenance gets big from me! Whats the story with it being down under for that time?
My Carrera was first delivered in Switzerland, had 2 owners there and then was imported into New Zealand in 1981 by the then president of the NZ Porsche Club. He owned it for 2 years then it was sold to another kiwi named Dudley Watts. He then moved to Western AU in 1997 and brought the car with him. He then sold it to a physician in the States in 2001.

Check out this link for more details of its life in the Southern Hemisphere. I wish I could track down Dudley in AU. He was the longest owner and no doubt has many photos of the car from NZ and AU.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...&highlight=451

Quick Reply: 1974 Euro Carrera