Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Windshield Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Porsche Newbie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Issue

Windshield on my '78sc.. looks like the wiper arm was opearted at least once without the rubber on the blade..I have what looks like a scratch on the glass that goes in the semi circular pattern as the wiper.. is there anything I can do to get rid of that scratch besides a new windshield?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Dont have a "link" to send you to. However if the scratch is "light" there are compounds available to polish minor scratches out of glass. Google it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

One other thing to consider. I have heard multiple times about guys replacing 911 windshields with horror stories of bent trim piece, damaged dash boards, water leaks they never had and wind noise they never had. So, even though my original windshield has a 1" diameter small spider crack (which hasn't budged for 15 years, I've left it alone and don't even notice it anymore (though it drives anyone else crazy). Just a thought.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:28 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The probable reason folks experience leaks after a windshield has been replaced is either the new seal is wrong for the car or the windshield is not the right one. Always put a new seal in when replacing the windshield. Experience has taught me to always buy genuine Porsche winshield seals and rear glass seals. After market ones just haven't been working well as the sizes are off just a little.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I would much rather try fixing the crack than replacing the windshield, and the reason is this:

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id=-mg-lNGilrY

I also read somewhere that the average driver will repair or replace 4 windshields in their lifetime of the ownership of the car!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:32 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

Originally Posted by Spider911
The probable reason folks experience leaks after a windshield has been replaced is either the new seal is wrong for the car or the windshield is not the right one. Always put a new seal in when replacing the windshield. Experience has taught me to always buy genuine Porsche winshield seals and rear glass seals. After market ones just haven't been working well as the sizes are off just a little.
+1
Old 03-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jay: Easy drive for you, talk to Butch at National Auto Glass in WLA. I've used him for many years, never heard a single complaint. He did the work on my SC when I replaced the dash - very nice job. He replaced the glass, but I bought a new seal, as Spider stated, from the dealer. If your inside mirror is perfect measure, from the outside, how far below the seal it is (should be about 4") and they will put it back on in the same place.
Pete

Quick Reply: Windshield Issue