Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steering Wheel Is Crooked!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:27 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvkk
So you think someone took a perfectly straight wheel, removed it and put it back on cockeyed? Not likely.
If you cover up the real problem by repositioning the wheel, your steering rack will not be centered anymore. That could cause rubbing when fully cranked to one side, while the other way won't be able to steer as tight as it should.
Also, as pointed out above, the car will dogleg down the freeway. Who knows what kind of ill handling effects this will have.
Fix the real problem, don't cover it up.
No, I think his steering wheel could have been taken off at some point and put on crooked. His REAL problem at least the one that he complains about is that his steering wheel is not true when the car is rolling straight. If he's complaining about the car in a hard pull that's a seperate issue.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:32 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Hmm I do remember during the PPI the mechanic said that it was towed wrong once and the tierods were bent. Could this be the source?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Ok i just tested it out. So when the car is going straight (steering wheel **** counterclockwise 30 degrees)...... I can turn about 1.5 turns to the right and a little under 1.5 turns to the left. So there is obviously something wrong.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Hmm I do remember during the PPI the mechanic said that it was towed wrong once and the tierods were bent. Could this be the source?
Sounds like you found the source of this one...

P.S. Before you pay for new tie rods, do a search on what the cost is of Turbo tie rods. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is a common upgrade to improve handling. I would at least do a couple searches here and on Pelican to find out. I have not done this research, so I could be wrong.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You should be able to look under there and visually assess the tie rods. The Turbo tie rods take out some of the whimpiness.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Is Crooked!