Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New (to me) 911T !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 12:04 AM
Cornpanzer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Jack, I love all that you have done to your T! Very cool car. What is this talk of a 72 T/E......never heard of this combo. Was this a bastardized option package or an actual choice that Porsche offered. Fill me in guys =)
Thanks
Old 11-23-2001, 05:05 AM
Mark Honman
4th Gear

Regarding the batteries, for lead acid use type 618 or 619 (here in South Africa, these are the cheapest!). Apparently in our hot & humid climate the gel batteries don't last, but because the front pan is *the* 911 rust zone, it's best to avoid lead-acid batteries.
BTW, take out your spare tyre and check for rust in the front pan if you haven't already.

I've found that a single battery is fine - although again due to the hot climate, cold starts aren't really cold (never gets below 10 deg C).

Regarding T vs. E/S (I mean, E or S) the others only give more power at high revs so you really have a nice car there (especially since it's a 2.4!).

Regarding noise, a while back I posted a question about SSIs & noise. Turned out to be a muffler that was rubbish inside, and now that has been replaced I can't say that the SSIs are any more noisy than the standard heat exchangers. At the last autox my wife reckoned that our was the quietest 911 there (was also the slowest, but that's the driver). Also, check the sound-deadening stuff which should be present in the engine compartment on the firewall and under the shelf behind the seats. This stuff doesn't always last 30 years. As to wind noise, I haven't really found a solution - any early 911 types out there who have one?

Mark (& Wania) Honman
'69 & '70 911Es
Old 11-23-2001, 07:44 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Porsche built also S-T modells
Won several rallyes and races

Grüsse
Old 11-26-2001, 08:47 PM
frankd
Advanced

Congrtatulations on your new present! I too recently purchased a 72 911T and I absolutely love it. I previously had an 87 carrera which was great but the early 911's are quite unique.

FYI I will be converting my car to more of a track car so I will have some stock parts that I will want to get rid of if you are interested. My stock seats ( black vinyl) will be available shortly (very good shape).

Good Luck

Frankd@aol.com
Old 11-26-2001, 09:55 PM
JSD
Intermediate

Cool

Thanks for the posts - to update everyone: Car has been driven (harder) this weekend to assist with turkey digestion and it is happier that way!

So far: Changed oil (Valvo R20-50w), Trans fluid(Swepco), Plugs (Bosch W5DC), cleaned and lubed MFI linkage (without changing settings). Rubbed out paint and added 5.5 x 15 Fuchs (came w/ car) with Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce's (fun, inexpensive tire with a nice transition to sliding sideways.)Got some rustoleum (semi-gloss) to hand paint surface rust in battery area.

The car runs a lot more smoothly with new plugs and lubed linkage. Will probably use some choke cleaner (Gumout) on the throttle bodies next weekend and set valves, points, and timing. Turn rotors and add new pads.

Updates: the car came w/turbo valve covers, turbo chain tensioners, and Dansk sport muffler. Just lucky, I guess (thx KED!)

For Individual Posters:
Matt: I'm calmer now about the oil flow, just was not experienced w/ sys. I did stay with twin batteries (Interstate, in stock! $110 for both!!), and will adhere to the "Porsche way".

Cornpanzer: T/E is just verbal shortcut for talking about those models vs. S/RS. There was not a "bastardized T with E equip" (that I'm aware of?). There was however, as Roland points out, a really quick S/T car. It seems to me to be the true precursor to the RS. One was raced by M. Keyser of ToadHall Racing

Jack: thanks for the encouragement, but I think your car is out of budget for me!!

Future Plans: Bodywork to kill the rust bubbles on lower door edge and nose. Anybody have any comments on a 2.7 motor with 8.5 or 9.0 CR Pistons, E cams, and E MFI set up? I'm thinking it would be a little stronger but still easier to drive regularly on the street than an S/RS upgrade.

Opinions? Expert advice? You guys tired of this rambling thread yet? I'll calm down soon enough....
Old 11-28-2001, 02:17 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Originally posted by jsd:
<STRONG>Cornpanzer: T/E is just verbal shortcut for talking about those models vs. S/RS. There was not a "bastardized T with E equip" (that I'm aware of?). There was however, as Roland points out, a really quick S/T car. It seems to me to be the true precursor to the RS. One was raced by M. Keyser of ToadHall Racing
</STRONG>
T/E may indeed be a shorthand to refer to "either a T or an E"...but in addition "TE" is sometimes used to refer to the 72 & 73 911T car with the Bosch MFI "Einspritzung". This is to differentiate it from the earlier T's with Zenith carbs and the later 73 1/2 T with CIS.

Cheers,
Old 11-28-2001, 07:31 PM
Matt Smith
Cruisin'

I call mine a TE because, like Chris says, it has injection. Over here we get the Euro model 72 T's too, and these just have the good old Vergasser (carbs), and are called T/V's. That's what makes the US T more desirable in my opinion, even if it means in my case you have to sit on the 'wrong' side of the car. Sure freaks out the passengers though!
Incidentally,and possibly confusingly, the model desination for this year is also an E- or E series.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:51 PM
JSD
Intermediate

Right Matt, and I suppose you want us to belive water drains the wrong way in your part of the Earth too!
Old 11-28-2001, 09:29 PM
Matt Smith
Cruisin'

Err, actually it does. You knew that right?
Southern hemisphere model 911's had the petrol pickup point on the opposite side of the tank to Euro and US models to compensate for this natural physical phenomenon...
Old 11-28-2001, 09:54 PM
JSD
Intermediate

Wink

So, do you have to mount the MFI on the right bank and have the pump and motor spin counterclockwise ?
Old 11-30-2001, 12:21 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

In the old times the T was just some 50 kg lighter then a S and so Porsche used T bodys equiped with S parts and ligtend down to T curb wight. The ST was the first base sportsmodel for puplic sales

The next time on they called them R

Grüsse
Old 11-30-2001, 05:23 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
I've always wanted to know this. Why were the T bodies lighter? They had heavier brakes (at least that's what I assume), and even possibly a heavier engine. I can see the lack of an oil cooler as making things lighter, but what else?
Old 11-30-2001, 02:25 PM
JSD
Intermediate

I always thought it was equipment and trim levels... ie, less insulation in doors, under carpets, etc. Less undercoating. Less standard equipment.

Was it the first model to have the infamous bumper weights removed ? In '69 ? That would have been just before the S/T development started that Roland writes about.

It is interesting tho, that the legendary R series has its roots in the T or S/T if you will. That kind of development is similiar to American Muscle Cars and TransAm Cars which were also are based upon the strippers of the particular model line....
Old 11-30-2001, 11:57 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello

I've always wanted to know this. Why were the T bodies lighter? They had heavier brakes (at least that's what I assume), and even possibly a heavier engine. I can see the lack of an oil cooler as making things lighter, but what else?

OH There had been several reasons and i was surprised that noone realized that R and ST where built at the same time.......

Yes the T modells are the lightest. There body wight had been nearly similar but the ventet brakes are heavier plus the S had many other items witch add wight. Just the simple defoging rear window added some 3 kg more wight over the non heatet T window.
Finally a early S wightet some 40 kg´s over a T.

And to say the truth Porsche used 912 body parts on ST´s as they had been partially thinner to shave some more wight there too.
They also used Aluminium doors and hoods plus glasfibre. Lexan or Glaverbel thin glas was optional.

The R cars had even more special part´s and many other stuff not to find on any standard Porsche. Magnesium parts, other oil system, shaved items, glasfibre doors and plastic windows ( with venting in the rear quarter ) light wight parts everywhere ) and bigger brakes plus light wight axles setup.

Now and here is the point. Porsche had homologatet the T as production car ( more then 1000 year ) while the R was a limitet production race car ( I think 20 would have been enough to step out from the Prototypes )

The strange thing with the 2,7 RS was it was intentet to be build as a Production R and Porsche hoped to sale 500 units yet the sales boostet over 1000 witch made the race car to a standard high production car.
This is why those cars dominatet there class.

But we have to lok close again within the 2,7 RS there where made H and RSR versions.
Most cars where delivered as Luxury S versions some even had the sunroof and one a AC. Pure body count after # 500 droped from the line.
A follow up from the ST cars where the clubsports while some RS where built over the years ( SCRS or 953/954 ).

The 964 /993 RS are more ST then RS yet Porsche did built the last T in 73 as well.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: New (to me) 911T !!!