Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

REPLACED FUEL PUMP NOW NO START

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007 | 04:29 PM
ernie944
Instructor

Default REPLACED FUEL PUMP NOW NO START

Just replaced the fuel pump on my 80sc now the car cranks cathces and stalls it was running fine before just wanted to replace it becuase car has 200k miles and dont know when it was last done, I installed the old one again and still does the same thing looked to see if blown any fuse's everyone looks good what am I missing

thank you
Ernie
Old 02-23-2007 | 05:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge if you have one. You also might replace the fuel filter while you're at it. When you loosened the fuel pump, debris could have come loose, clogging up the filter. Check the inlet to the fuel pump to see that there is no blockage or crimp. Have someone start the car while you are checking the wire leads to the fuel pump. You should have voltage there.
Old 02-23-2007 | 05:25 PM
ernie944
Instructor

I have voltage going to fuel pump the do you know if there's a safety cut off somewhere on these cars in case of accident type where maybe it shut off thats what it feels like
Old 02-24-2007 | 09:04 AM
psalt
Advanced

Ernie,

How much cranking have you done, it is easy to flood the engine ? The safety cut off switch is in the airbox, when the engine stops breathing, the sensor plate rests and interupts the power to the pump. The switch is bypassed when the key is in the "start" position. The fuel pump should not run when the key is in the "on" position unless the engine is running and lifting the plate. Remove the air filter, turn the key to the "on" position, then manually lift the air sensor plate briefly (push up on the elbow). You should hear the fuel pump running and the circuit is probably OK. If not, check the fuse and the relay. Remove one of the spark plugs and see if it is wet. If so, remove them all, clean them ( or replace them with new Bosch reg or NGK plugs) and try again.

Paul

Quick Reply: REPLACED FUEL PUMP NOW NO START