Getting a Bursch Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting a Bursch Muffler

The open exhaust sound is unbearable for such a classy car. Can even beat my self up to pay over 500 for a freaking muffler
Old 02-21-2007, 12:33 AM
vanwyk4257
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fausto, if you want a really great sounding muffler look at the M&K Mufflers. I have heard a few different ones and they sound great. They're also much lighter than OEM style mufflers and use better grades of stainless steel. Euro East is the best place to buy for the price. Their website is euroeastparts.com. Tell Jerry I sent you and he'll take good care of you. As soon as I have the money saved up to replace my OEM muffler I'm doing a M&K 1-in 2-out.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:48 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

Default M&K

I did quite a bit of research and I installed a M&K (single inlet with dual outlets). As stated earlier, it reduced weight by 13lbs and it looks great. It sounds wonderful when accelerating and cruising (fairly quiet at cruising). At idle it is a tad loud, but not too loud....and M&K does make a cap for one of the outlets if you really want it to be quiet. I put resonator tips on it and this made it smoother. It is louder than stock, but it sounds great...If your Bursch is a dual outlet, you could consider restricting the flow from one of the outlets. There is an electical cut-off valve that can be installed and there is also a valve that operates through exhaust pressure (it is closed until you punch the gas). If interested, I think I can find the sites for these cut-offs.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I had a Bursch on my 83SC. I liked it and it did the trick for the money I had at the time.
Check around, you might find a used one, maybe the local PCA web site.
Chuck
Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bursch is adeqate, but will give you a tinny & rattling sound. I believe they are made in Mexico. Mine made a rattling sound when accelerating/decelerating. The thin sides of the muffles flex when the get hot and when on decel, they were hitting the inner support. Sound was OK, but rattle drove me nuts.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

in would seriously think about m&k and fabspeed. i have a fabspeed on my 996 and it is REALLY nice. the problem is the price...a lot of the p car club guys run the m&k and they sound sweet , but a little resonance in the early rpm range...
Old 02-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The Bursch are ok sounding, the finish is terrible, the paint will either flake off or burn off, so you may want to get it blasted and ceramic coated, or paint it yourself.

I read a lot of posts about people raving about how good the M&K mufflers sound, and how inexpensive they are, but I've yet to see published data showing what effect they have on power output. In fact I have heard reports that HP actually went down when tested against other alternatives. Based on this, I'd be wary. I think there still is no such thing as a free lunch.

You can always get a Magnaflow in there. That's what I run on my headers, it fits behind the valance where it should, and uses the stock strap hanger.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The Bursch are ok sounding, the finish is terrible, the paint will either flake off or burn off, so you may want to get it blasted and ceramic coated, or paint it yourself.

I read a lot of posts about people raving about how good the M&K mufflers sound, and how inexpensive they are, but I've yet to see published data showing what effect they have on power output. In fact I have heard reports that HP actually went down when tested against other alternatives. Based on this, I'd be wary. I think there still is no such thing as a free lunch.

You can always get a Magnaflow in there. That's what I run on my headers, it fits behind the valance where it should, and uses the stock strap hanger.
Ed this is funny as hell that is exactly what I am doing. See my custom exahust post.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:23 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

Ed, I agree with you that there is no significant data showing M&K increases performance....but, "looks" and "sound" are important. Does the magnaflow improve performance? The only ones I have seen that have a positive increase on performance includes other modifications i.e. SSI, by-pass pipe, etc...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by zorro1car
Ed, I agree with you that there is no significant data showing M&K increases performance....but, "looks" and "sound" are important. Does the magnaflow improve performance? The only ones I have seen that have a positive increase on performance includes other modifications i.e. SSI, by-pass pipe, etc...
Zorro, there's no doubt in what you're saying. I have B&B headers, and the SW chip, so I wanted something that didn't DECREASE performance, as I was trying to maximize what I can do with bolt-on HP. So, I have looks, sound and performance, probably via the chip/headers-but not inhibited by the muffler. HP is too hard to come by ($$$), why defeat the purpose? I dynoed 204HP at the wheels in a 125,000 mile 3.2.

Quick Reply: Getting a Bursch Muffler