Looking at a '77 911...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 02:06 AM
Evilclown
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking at a '77 911...

Hey all,

I'm going this week to look at a '77 911S with @113k miles on it. The body and paint look great, he *says* there's nothing really wrong with the car, it passed inspection fine, etc. He's asking 10k for it, how reasonable is this? What should I be looking for with this car? Are there any mechanical issues, rust-prone spots, anything else I should be looking for in particular? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:57 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Loads of issues for the 74-77 model, which is why they're common first-time-owner 911s. Magnesuim cases, head stud problems, emissions nonsense making them run even hotter.

If you can find one where all of the 74-77 issues have been addressed in a rebuild, they can be great cars. Otherwise, I'd consider a 911 SC (1978-83).

Read this:
http://www.rennlist.org/FAQ/
Old 11-12-2001, 10:45 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Follow Jack's advice UNLESS the owner can show you receipts that show he has corrected the notorious head stud problem prevalent on 74-77 911's. 10K is a nice price, but if you look around I bet you can find a early SC in that price range.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:14 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Wow, $10k seems high for a '77, unless it's in *very* nice condition.

here's a short list of stuff to check for
  • Has the fan been updated to an 11-blade?
  • Have the thermal reactors been removed - if so, how long ago? (did non-California cars have these?)
  • Have the head studs been updated?
  • When was the last rebuild? 113k on an original 2.7l is a bit long in the tooth.
  • Does it have an external oil cooler?

I'd want all of these things before I even dreamed up paying $10k for a '77
Old 11-12-2001, 04:25 PM
WJG2
Intermediate

I bought a really nice 1977 911 targa, Florida car, with a fairly fresh (30,000 miles) 1978 engine in June for CDN$10,000. No rust, good leather interior, decent paint, needed tires and cosmetics. All I wanted was a daily driver and it has been exactly that. E-mail me if you want the specifics. Do the math: CDN$10,000 is about US$15,000.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:10 PM
Michael Van de Kamp
6th Gear

For perspective:I have owned a 77 Targa for the past two years. It has 140,000 miles on it with the original 2.7 engine. I don't know what internal work was done in the past but externally, the thermal reactors were removed and hydraulic chain tensioners added. There is no 11 blade fan upgrade on mine and I only have the original external trombone externaloil cooler but it is not necessary if you live in somewhat temperate climate (Green Bay, WI) and the reactors have been removed to keep heat down. Mine runs within accpetable oil temps even on our few 95 degree days. I paid $8,500 and spent another $1,500 on things like a new Targa top, brake reline, tune-up, oil change,etc. I drive mine during the non-winter period, April through October and it has been great. Vinyl interior and flawless exterior with no rust. Former California car. The 2.7 is notorious for problems but if the car has been updated it could be fine and a good buy. Check receipts and have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified Porsche mechanic.

Mike Van de Kamp
Old 11-12-2001, 11:45 PM
Reg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WJG2 I think your math is wrong.

10000 Canadian is about 6200 US!

10000 US$ is now about 16000 Canadian!

Killer exchange if you are buying in the USA from Canada...and for you Americans..maybe try looking up here for P parts. You may be pleasantly surprised if you root around.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:32 PM
WJG2
Intermediate

You're right, Reg, about the conversion rate as of today. I still think I got a deal although several friends on this board warned me off the car because it did not have the original engine. I think I have the ideal scenario for the price. I am in Midland, Ontario. Where are you?
Old 11-13-2001, 12:42 PM
davis911s
Instructor

Evil Clown

I also have a 77 Targa, I LOVE it. It has the 11 blade fan, no thermals, updated tensioners but it has not had the head studs updated. I check them every winter (engine is out) and none are loose (knock on wood).

As for rust the 77s are galvanized so that is a plus.

I got mine 4 years ago when I traded a 91 VW Passat and $2000Cdn for it. I have put more into it over the years but I love it!

74-77 Have bad reps, but if it is well maintained and especially in colder climates, they are great.

Shawn
NB CANADA
Old 11-13-2001, 12:55 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

I paid $8000 for my '77. In the condition it was in, it was probably on the high side, but it was a widebody and I had to have it! It needed a transmission; it drove, but shifted poorly, and blew up 2 months later. The paint and interior were fair. It had the stud upgrade, and the TRs were removed when the engine was rebuild 50k prior, but the fan hadn't been upgraded, nor the cooler.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:20 AM
Evilclown
7th Gear

Well, I talked to the seller pretty in-depth on the phone, and he said that it was owned by a Porsche Club member in Jersey, and he babied it. According to him, it does have the external oil cooler and 11-blade fan, but all the emissions equipment is still in place, and the motor is bone stock. He never said wether it's been rebuilt or not, but if it's as he says, with zero mechanical issues, I'm guessing it has been. Also, he says that it puffs a little oil smoke on startup that goes away immediately, and was told this is normal for these engines. Is this true, or did the mechanic not feel like fixing it? Also, he didn't say wether or not the head studs had been updated. The more I think about it, though, the less I think I'm going to get it. Winter's coming, so I wouldn't get to drive it much, plus I really don't need a 3rd car. It's for sale in Winchester, Va, though, if anyone's interested.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:27 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

I just brought a 76 Targa euro with a 4spd trans.It has about 117,000 miles(it's in KM).The engine had a complete documented $8500 rebuild at a reputable porsche shop 37k ago with all the upgades.The 4spd trans shifts very smooth,better then most 5spds I test drove.It also has the five blade fan but runs very cool with the standard front oil cooler.
I'm the third owner,the previous owner had it for 18yrs and supplied me with full documenation for the life of his ownership( he brought a 93 coupe).
The seats need to be redone but the rest of the interior is exc.The body is straight and the paint looks good but there is some minor rust on the body.It will probaly need a respray in a couple years to be perfect.It has cookie cutters with new low end tires.The targa top needs a new liner.I paid $6000 which I thought was a fair price,considering the work it will need in the future and 76 4spd euro cars aren't the most sought after porsches.I hope this helps you with your decision.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:06 PM
mdaniels
3rd Gear

10K seems a little high for a '77 depending on what updates it has (as mentioned above) If you like, you can check out my mid-year 911 website at: http://www.mindspring.com/~matthew.daniels/porsche

Which has some more info on the '74-77 cars.

Good luck!
Matt

Quick Reply: Looking at a '77 911...