2.2 liter case halves with no serial number

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,229 Posts
Default 2.2 liter case halves with no serial number

A friend of mine has a basement full of air cooled 911 parts. Most are in like new condition. Last night taking pictures and categorizing them for an upcoming ebay auction he pulled out an interesting piece.

He has two 2.2 liter case halves, both in perfect shape. One of them does not have the factory stamp for the serial number (or whatever that number is called) the other one does. Now at first most would assume someone ground it off. The owner of these parts is a master machinist & expert metallurgist. He’s inspected this part very thoroughly, he said the spot for the serial number is still the rough cast from production. This engine came out of a car that at one time received a new engine from the factory under warranty. It looks like it was never stamped at the factory before being shipped to the states.

Any significance to this piece? A local 911 collector went pretty ga-ga over it saying anyone who was doing a full “original” restoration could use these case halves to produce an original engine.

He’s also sitting on a complete 964 engine disassembled in perfect shape, various 930 pistons, cylinders, carbs etc…. He was working on a project to drop a twin turbo 964 engine onto his motorcycle. It’s a custom frame that is currently powered by a supercharged Type 4 VW engine producing over 400hp. Due to other projects, he does not foresee ever doing the swap for the 964 motor, so I’m helping him liquidate his parts collection.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

911 engine cases are only stamped, with their serial number, on one side. The only way to tell if the case is usable is to assemble it without any internal parts, then measure the main bearing bore with alignbore tools. Without internal components (crank, rods, heads, etc.) it's probably not worth much, unless, of course, its number matches up to a '73 RS or similar. If it carries an internal designation for an S (911/02 = 2.2 S) it'll be worth more than a T or E. What year is the 964 engine?
Pete
Old 02-14-2007, 02:59 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

When he purchased this engine it was still in the car. One day he noticed the other 2.2 engine had a number stamped on one side, this one did not. He didn't think much of it until a friend of his (self proclaimed 911 guru) said this was a big deal. I have no idea, neither does he. I'll try and post pictures of it. He isn't trying to make a big deal out of this, just curious. If this would work out for someone doing a restore, would be nice to find it a good home. He has so much stuff it's time to clean house. It's my task to get educated so he receives a fair price for everything.

I'm not sure what year the 964 engine is. I have all of the part numbers at home if that would help. All of the big items are there. Crank, rods, pistons, cams etc... He already prepped everything on this motor for a rebuild, never started the assembly phase. From the motor alone I think I'll have 40+ seperate items up for sale. He debated putting the engine together, then selling it, but due to time issues with other projects, it's being peiced out.
He is the builder / designer of the 427 928 engine in my signature.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Re: 964 motor - I would like to see a pic of the combustion chamber of one head. That will tell me if the engine will have oil sealing problems, or if it's a '91.5 or later.
Pete
Old 02-14-2007, 05:19 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Re: 964 motor - I would like to see a pic of the combustion chamber of one head. That will tell me if the engine will have oil sealing problems, or if it's a '91.5 or later.
Pete
No problem, when I get home I'll upload a few head shots. If this is an issue with the engine, either way I would like to know. I want to be as up front with details as possible with this stuff.

Quick Reply: 2.2 liter case halves with no serial number